Safecom External HDD + MAC Issue

Tom123 10:34 08 Aug 06

Hi, I have a friend who has a Mac and wants to try to connect a Safecom external drive to it. On a windows laptop the drive functions perfectly as extra storage but on the Mac it can only read not write anything. Please can someone help. I do not have his Mac details but the details of the hard drive is:

Safecom - mobile HDD USB 2.0
product code: SUSB2-25CA
Model No: same

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

cycoze 11:02 08 Aug 06

according to Safecom`s site the drive is compatible with Mac and needs no drivers click here , however on their support issues list click here# they give formatting instructions.

The pdf manual click here states...

This USB Hard Disk is supported by the Mass Storage Support 1.3.5 in Mac OS.You do not need
to install any drivers for it.
If you are using Mac OS 8.6, the software of Mass Storage Support 1.3.5 is required to install.
You can download The USB Mass Storage Support 1.3.5 from the Apple Software Updates web
site.

dont know anything about Mac`s so not sure if it is an issuse with file system, it maybe that Mac can only use the drive as read only if the drive has been formatted as NTFS, hopefully a Mac user can answer this for you.

cycoze 11:24 08 Aug 06

have a look at click here , it says...

*For the majority of external devices, no driver installation is required; however, for hard disks, bear in mind that Mac OS X cannot open NTFS formatted disks, so please use the FAT PC format instead.*

It also says on the site that Panther can except NTFS, upgrade time?

looks like the drive would have to be formatted as FAT32 to work on OSX, obviously saving the data elsewheres first so it can be put back on the drive afterwards.

as i said above i know nothing of Mac`s so can only suggest you get this verified by a Mac user.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…