Running a Mac on a Windows based home network

eeze1 21:16 11 Oct 07

My home network currently consists of 2 desktop PCs(one running Windows XP, the other running Vista), a laptop running Windows XP and a printer.
I'm seriously considering replacing the host desktop with an Apple Mac. I want to run both Windows XP and OS X operating systems and Apple suggest installing VMware's Fusion software. However, I've been advised that establishing this configuration maybe more trouble than it's worth. Any thoughts appreciated.

mgmcc 08:23 12 Oct 07

I'm not sure whether you're wanting to run both Mac OS X and Windows in the Mac hardware (which is the purpose of VMware fusion) or simply to Network the Mac with existing Windows PCs.

Networking Mac OS x and Windows XP/Vista isn't a problem.

T0SH 19:31 12 Oct 07

I seem to remember that Macs do not understand a DHCP server issuing IP addys, so you would have to set it up with an IP & subnet mask ETC manually,other than that it should work fine for the internet, I think file and printer sharing may have to involve Appleshare ?

Cheers HC

mgmcc 20:28 12 Oct 07

<<<I seem to remember that Macs do not understand a DHCP server issuing IP addys>>>

The Mac gets its IP address by DHCP from the router the same as any other computer and I didn't have to do anything with "Appleshare" to network my Mac with XP or Vista. To be honest, I don't even know what Appleshare is. ;)

eeze1 20:36 12 Oct 07

In response to mgmcc...
My intention's to run both Windows XP and OX on the Mac using VMWare Fusion..

T0SH 19:54 13 Oct 07

This link explains what Appleshare is and does

click here

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…