Router information to set up new iPad

Tammy Troot 17:18 PM 21 Aug 13
Answered

I have a PC which is connected by cable to VirginMedia for broadband. I have just bought an iPad and need router information to set it up to connect to WiFi, The shop advised me to set up the iPad at home and that I should be able to find the necessary router inf on my existing equipment. The salesmen said to look for information as follows :- SSID-viginmedia525x and Password - xxx. I cannot find anything with this inf on it. Can anyone help?

Ian in Northampton 17:34 PM 21 Aug 13

On my router, it's on a sticky label on the underside.

Woolwell 18:11 PM 21 Aug 13

The iPad should find your router's SSID without any problem. You just need to check that it is your SSID and not a neighbour's. If you are using the superhub then all you need to do is enter the passphrase which is printed on the side of the router.

Jock1e it will definitely ask for the passphrase.

Woolwell 18:13 PM 21 Aug 13

If you do not have a Superhub and an earlier D-Link router then you will have to enter the router's configuration pages and set up the password. You should have done this when you first received it if the wireless is turned on.

woodchip 21:22 PM 21 Aug 13

It will find SSID, if its not set to not Broadcast SSID. If it is set to not Broadcast you will have to change it in the router under Wireless settings

woodchip 21:22 PM 21 Aug 13

It will find SSID, if its not set to not Broadcast SSID. If it is set to not Broadcast you will have to change it in the router under Wireless settings

john bunyan 22:38 PM 21 Aug 13

My router (Belkin) has a main access password and a guest access (for visiting grandkids etc) When you enter the router webpage it displays the security code blanks (.....)for main access but the guest access code is shown in clearin the "guest" tab. My wife's iPad is set on that, as is our laptop, so it may be you can see your guest code if you look at the router settings.

BT 08:33 AM 22 Aug 13

Just a thought but do you actually have a VM wireless hub/router. If you only have one PC connected by cable you may just have a Modem. In which case you will have to ask VM for a Wireless router or alternatively buy a Wireless Cable Router and connect it to the Modem. They can be had fairly cheaply. I bought this one (Wireless Cable Router) from Amazon before VM gave me a Superhub2. Its dual band and quite fast.

Tammy Troot 15:58 PM 22 Aug 13

Thanks very much all who responded. Your advice is much appreciated. It seems I need a new VirginMedia Super Hub before I can get the necessary router information and I have ordered one today.

BT 17:33 PM 22 Aug 13

There is an obvious visual difference between SH1 and SH2. This YouTube video SuperHub1 vs Superhub2 shows the visual difference. In addition the SH2 has Dual band i.e. 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels as shown on the lights on the front.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…