Right click on desktop freezes machine

Laser157 08:39 20 Apr 06

When I right click on the desktop the machine freezes, except I can log off via the start button and then close down. Right clicking the taskbar is OK.

In other repects the machine is working well. I only use right click on the desktop to access display properties which is still accessible via Windows Explorer/desktop/right click. So it's not a huge problem, but irritating all the same!

I am not sure how long it's been like this, so cannot easily pin the problem to a specific event. Recently however my wireless modem /gateway / router went dead and has been replaced. Hard to see a connection there though.

I have done sfc /scannow and also system restore back several days, but no change.

Windows XP SP2

Any ideas?

Dumble452 09:33 20 Apr 06

This also happened to me after installing the last crop of XP updates. I think it was KB908531 Security update for WindowsXP which caused the problem. Still awaiting a solution from Microsoft.

Laser157 10:13 20 Apr 06

Thanks Dumble for this reply - quite re-assuring! I'll keep an eye out for any news from MS. Have you seen any referrence to this elsewhere?

Laser157 10:17 20 Apr 06

OK - now done a search on that update and found other referrences. Thanks again - I'll show this as resolved for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…