Restoring from time machine - using an older snapshot

DylanChilds 10:26 01 Jan 15

Hello all

My wife has managed to get the files on her Macbook Air into a bit of a mess. Essentially, she deleted all her files then and restored them, such that everything (1000s of files, many, many GB) now resides in one folder. Don't ask me how/why she did this. She does use Time Machine, so it might be possible sort this out. The other issue is that she has very little space left on her HD (this is what prompted her to start deleting files).

I was hoping that it may be possible to sort this out by doing a clean install of OS X and then restoring her files using Migration Assistant. The problem is that the latest snapshot reflects the messed-up state of her machine. What I am wondering is whether there is a way to restore (or just copy) the files from an earlier Time Machine snapshot. As I say there are 1000s of files, so this can't be done efficiently by just navigating through the Time Machine restore interface.

Does anyone here have an idea for how we might sort this out? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 2D animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

How to get WWDC 2017 tickets