Registering a MAC address

expertec 17:28 19 Feb 04

It says in Blueyonder selfcare that you should allow 24 hours after you've registered a MAC address before you can use the internet on your new PC. Does it really take this long??

explicitlyrics100 18:01 19 Feb 04

I would have thought it would take about 6 working hours plus a couple of hours at night time for the settings to take effect, thus they allow 24 depending on when you register the mac addy. If it was done fairl early today you should probably expect it to come online this evening sometime. I dont have cable so this is only my guess based on the process that actually occurs.

Kitz E Kat 18:30 19 Feb 04

Sorry to be stupid , what do they want your MAC addie for?

Jester2K 18:52 19 Feb 04

So if i got a new motherboard with a built in LAN port i could get the MAC address and add it to my list, then 24 hours later my broadband connection will work with my new mobo? Instead of my seperate network card?

Do wireless routers have MAC Addresses?

Jester2K 18:55 19 Feb 04

And where do you get the MAC Address from?

Jester2K 18:56 19 Feb 04

What is a MAC address?

Every networked hardware device - such as a PC network interface card (NIC), a Cable Modem or even a router - has a hardware address, also known as a MAC [Media Access Control] address.

The reason for knowing this address is that for us to be able to give you Internet access through your Cable Modem, our system requires there to be a valid pair of MAC addresses, that of the network card of your computer and that of the Cable Modem itself (which is already registered with blueyonder) registered within our records .

Each MAC address is always unique.

Kitz E Kat 19:00 19 Feb 04

Yeah my wireless router has a MAC address..
I am interested in why they want it?
I never heard of that, i don't think i would like it either!!!
Is this to restrict the amount of computers you have on line?
If so i guess you could either give them the MAC adress of the router or use a box to act as a host for the others to connect, all a bit mad if you ask me!!!!!!

explicitlyrics100 19:51 19 Feb 04

if mac addresses are not restricted then people with cable tv would be able to plug their pc into their cable box and use the internet for free. Thus mac address control is used to limit who uses the internet and what speed they get (similar to a phone number on adsl)

bremner 19:58 19 Feb 04

You can see your MAC address by typing - ipconfig /all - at a command prompt (shown as Physical address)

gardener 21:19 19 Feb 04

You can 'spoof'your MAC address.Unfortunately I don't know how to do it.

explicitlyrics100 21:27 19 Feb 04

its not hard to spoof a mac address, you can do it from certain programs (even my regular adsl netgear router has an option where you can select the mac address of the router) However it is just an extra security measure as you cant have two people with the same mac addresses online or they would cut you off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…