recovery disc on a second machine?

castiel333 00:11 13 Oct 04

Hi everyone I bought another machine (second hand) for my children and it is ridiculously slow Ive tried running spybot and adaware and have cleared some spyware from it but what I would really like to do is use the recoverey disc from my own computer to do a clean install but because Ive already used it once on my own computer and I had to enter the number thats on my harddrive and also register online during the install Im worried about trying it in case I mess up the computer.Can anyone please tell me if this would work?(my machine is windows xp home edition and the other one is running windows xp professional but I suspect it was once running a different opperating system.

pubsinger 00:32 13 Oct 04

If it is in fact a manufacturer`s recovery disc, then it will only work correctly with an identical machine... same main board, graphics, sound etc etc. You could always do a full system backup and then try it anyway. Then if it all goes pear-shaped at least you can restore your system from the backup.

castiel333 00:40 13 Oct 04

Thanks for your posting yes it is a manufacturers disc so I will try a systems backup thanks again regards totalnovice

ventanas 08:30 13 Oct 04

No, you cannot use the recovery disc that came with your other pc. Where is the XP disc for the machine you have just bought. If it was not handed to you with the machine it is a breach of the licence. Go back and demand it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…