Recover/reload OS ME emachine

woody 01:06 14 Feb 03

A friends emachine has packed up and needs the OS (ME) reloaded.This i could normally do without help but in this case they do not have start/boot/up disk and no OS CD.
They do have a recovery CD .
I have said all data already on the comp will be lost (thats ok) .Is the OS (ME) on the recovery CD with other programs or does it look for the OS on the hard drive in some hidden area?Is it just a case of putting the recovery CD in the drive and switch on to put the machine back to the way it "came out of the box day one"?They love to play "spider" solitaire - is that part of ME?
A final thought - it is less than two years old - i suppose it might still be under "G".

tbh72 02:03 14 Feb 03

If the CD is bootable you will have to change the bios settings.....

You could test by restarting the computer & pressing the delete key to enter the bios. Once in the bios goto advanced cmos settings. on the list you'll see 1st Boot Device, 2nd Boot device, etc. Ensure that the CD is the first device Change this setting by pressing the PAGE UP key. Once done press F10 to save & exit. Ensure also you have put the CD in the drive and allow the computer to boot up. If the CD is bootable it will enter a DOS Boot UP screen giving you several options, eg Boot from CD, Boot from HDD.

If it will happily Boot from CD then you will know how to FIX the computer, if not post back & I'm sure we'll help you round this dilema

Terrahawk 02:10 14 Feb 03

yes the rcovery cd should have the o/s on it or a least an image of the o/s that you can copy over you will need your ME product key

jolorna 07:44 14 Feb 03

i have a advent with ME which has recovery cd's there is no product key to enter and everything is on the cd's, the keycode is embeded on the disc

woody 11:01 14 Feb 03

Thank you all .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…