Recommendations for backup software for Mac please

Atlanta-277720 14:37 10 Mar 04

My first post so please excuse any errors! Have done a search but couldn't find what I need.

A friend running a network of 3 i-Macs has asked me to recommend automated backup software. I am a PC user and love my brilliant Handybackup programme which can back up all data to a HD once and then just add the incremental changes automatically at the interval of choice (i.e. overnight).

Is there a similar programme available for Macs?

Any recommendations would be really welcome.

Many thanks
Atlanta

byfordr 14:53 10 Mar 04

There is some backup software bundled with the mac verson of the external maxtor onetouch hd. I'm sure you must be able to buy it on its own.

click here

click here

R

Diodorus Siculus 14:56 10 Mar 04

but sadly no recommendation for your friend :-(

byfordr 15:05 10 Mar 04

Some more places to aid you on your search. Seems to me may be worth purchasing the hard drive and getting the software if you go down this route.

click here
click here
click here

Another forum for mac stuff here click here

Sorry don't really know much software for the big bad world of macs.

HTH

R

Atlanta-277720 15:21 10 Mar 04

Blimey this is a great forum! Thank you for speedy responses.

Dantz Retrospect Express looks like a good option - has anyone actually used it either in Mac or PC flavours?

byfordr - I think you are right - it may be best to buy a Firewire external HD and bundled Retrospect for the easiest solution.

Many thanks to all
Atlanta

byfordr 15:41 10 Mar 04

Got the pc version bundled with my Maxtor HD. Not got around to using it yet, only got the hd last week. No problems with the actually HD, recommended for the money (well the pc version anyway)

The firewire version only come in large sizes (160gb and above)

click here

click here
(10% off at the moment if you register with their website)

or trawl through

click here click here click here click here on the day to find the cheapest prices.

HTH

R

Atlanta-277720 15:50 10 Mar 04

Thanks for all the links. I use a 250GB 5000XT Maxtor drive attached by Firewire to my laptop, running automated overnight/weekly/monthly backups using handybackup.

The HD was great value but am on my second physical drive - the first one failed immediately and the second one failed and had to be reformatted. Seems OK now though - I keep it in a quiet still corner! Not sure if I just had a bad batch or if Maxtor build quality is dodgy.

All best, Atlanta

byfordr 16:11 10 Mar 04

Never had any problems with the internal Maxtors, this was my first external. Seems very solid and well built, 2 year warranty on it.

Also found these click here

Atlanta-277720 23:24 10 Mar 04

Thanks so much to everyone who helped!
Atlanta

Atlanta-277720 23:24 10 Mar 04

Thanks so much to everyone who helped!
Atlanta

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…