Putting Microsoft Vista on an Imac

281apple 18:59 26 Sep 10

Can someone confirm the following please. In order to put Microsoft Visita on my Imac, I will need a program such as Parallel Desk Top (or similar) and firstly must install it on my Imac. Then I suppose I have to install Microsoft Vista through Parallel Desk Top to my Imac hard disk. I do not have a CD for Vista. I have only a RESTAURATION DISK THAT I MADE FORM MY COMPUTER; CAN I USE IT TO INSTALL IT ON MY IMAC OR DO I HAVE TO BUY ONE SOMEPLACE?
CAN ANYONE REFER ME TO A STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE TO PUT VISTA ON MY IMAC. THANKS A LOT FOR YOU HELP.

retep888™ 20:08 26 Sep 10

You can actually use the built in Boot Camp in iMac to run Vista or any other Windows( XP & Win7), no need to load any other third party softwares.

Link which shows you how to install Windows within iMac using Boot Camp ( just click Watch the video) click here

<<I have only a RESTAURATION DISK THAT I MADE FORM MY COMPUTER; CAN I USE IT TO INSTALL IT ON MY IMAC?>>

Unfortunately the answer is no, you'll need a valid installation Vista (or other Windows)disk.

Devil Fish 20:09 26 Sep 10

Can i use it in a nutshell no the vista on your Desktop will be of the OEM (origional equipment manufacturer) variety which means that the lisence is only valied on the machine it was origionaly installed on

wether vista can be installed on an imac i dont know but i do know you would have to buy a retail copy to attempt it

281apple 22:02 26 Sep 10

Thanks for your quick replies. I will check out the Boot Camp approach suggested by you Devil Fish. What could the differences (the +'s and the -'s) of Boot Camp vs Parallel Desk Top be. I know that one is free and I would have to buy the other one. But someone told me (might be true or not) that the Parallel Desk Top approach gives complete use of all programs made for Windows whereas the Boot Camp approach does not; one guy told that one can not use the "Drag and Drop" feature of Windows on Mac with the Boot Camp approach. is that true?

As concerns having to beg, borrow or buy a Windows XP, Vista or Win 7, I guess I'm cornered. I'll check it out with some guys I know here and there.
Thanks to both of you for your input. It adds to my making up my mind to do or not to do (windows on Mac.

But one last question, if I do install Windows on my Imac can I use all of its features. I ask because I have already noted that Office for PC is not the same as Office for Mac, and I use Power Point a lot?

I

Devil Fish 22:47 26 Sep 10

office will work in a windows enviroment harware is a secondry issue if you can run vista/7 then you can run office

for the life of me i cant understand why you would want to put a windows o/s on a mac but hey each to their own

Devil Fish 22:48 26 Sep 10

NB retep888™ suggested boot camp

retep888™ 23:37 26 Sep 10

<<What could the differences (the +'s and the -'s) of Boot Camp vs Parallel Desk Top be>>

Boot Camp is free while Parallels and VMWare Fusion cost you money, Parallels and Fusion allow you to run Windows programs alongside other Mac programs.

Boot Camp can run only one OS at the time – you need to restart Mac to switch to Windows.

click here for details of these programs.

If you can manage to get Windows OS (OEM will work don't need retail version,but only brand new not restore/recovery
disk), Win 7 works the best. I have windows inside Mac(boot camp) because there are some programs weren't supported by Mac.

<<one guy told that one can not use the "Drag and Drop" feature of Windows on Mac with the Boot Camp approach. is that true?>> <<But one last question, if I do install Windows on my Imac can I use all of its features>>

Once you're in the Boot Camp Windows environment ,you just do everything you used to do as you're in a PC windows.

But if you don't want to spend on a MAC version MS office and want to access Windows applications quicker then Parallels and VMWare Fusion would be more ideal to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…