Put windows on an apple mac computer?

YinHoNg 18:56 27 Jun 05

Hiya. I was wondering if it was possible to have windows on an apple mac computer? I know it is possible to have virtual windows on there, but is this worth the hassle? What are the pros of this setup? What are the cons?

Mr Mistoffelees 17:28 28 Jun 05
  powerless 19:09 28 Jun 05
  YinHoNg 23:10 28 Jun 05

Thanks for linking me to my own thread :p.

recap 16:39 29 Jun 05

YinHoNg, it seems like you have asked this question previously without much result. If you feel more could have been posted on your request just type bump or place a full stop in the message reply window to keep the post near the top and active.

If you do a search for Windows v iMac or something similar you should be able to get quite a few postings on the subject.

kind regards
recap

Kate B 12:54 30 Jun 05

Well, I found this via Google: click here

but I have some reservations about it. First, it's soooo cheap: a copy of Windows costs a lot more than that, so for me it falls under the heading of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Second, you'd need a storming Mac: emulators by and large are pretty sluggish and I think it would drive you bananas on a medium-spec machiine.

Third, why would you want to? There are so many Mac apps that, if not identical, do much the same thing as Windows.

Still, watch this space. With Macs soon to be built around Intel processors (and apparently Apple has been parallelling its apps recently to run under the x86 architecture), you might well eventually be able to dual-boot a Mac (or even a PC) with OS 10.whatever and Windows XP/Longhorn (if the latter ever launches).

Kate B 12:59 30 Jun 05

More - I see from your post on Macusers that you're interested in gaming. Which makes me stress even more strongly that you'd need an absolutely storming Mac if you found an emulator - games are so demanding of graphics and processing power that I suspect, unless you want to play the original Doom or Solitaire, you're better off buying a decent PC. Unless of course you like your games stuttering along at 10fps with all the graphics options turned down ...

TomJerry 10:13 01 Jul 05

I see no point of install win on Mac

Mac is going to use Intel CPU soon, so you maybe able to install MacOS in a year time

Kate B 11:33 01 Jul 05

hmm, this looks like one of those folk who pop in, post, get an answer and then disappear without ever coming back to us for more debate ... *sigh*

powerless 18:56 01 Jul 05

Mac OS X Leopard, 10.5.

I doubt you'll be able to install OS X alongside XP, legally anyway.

YinHoNg 22:36 01 Jul 05

recap - the reason i started two threads on the same topic was because my first thread was in general helproom. I thought it would be better to put it into networking forum - thus i didnt continue with my other thread and persued this one instead. I appreciate you trying to help me out - i jsut thought i better explain myself. :p

Kate B - " hmm, this looks like one of those folk who pop in, post, get an answer and then disappear without ever coming back to us for more debate ... *sigh*"

You gave me less than 24hrs to reply!!!!! I thank you for your eagerness to help me out, i really do. But please do not jump to conclusions - i regularly use these forums to debate, get help, or general enquiries.

Now i have that sorted, let me explain my situation a bit more clearly. I had NO previous knowledge of anything to do with macs as i've only worked in windows before. I enquired originally to see whether it was possible - i had no idea of the possible reasons i could not or could have windows on an apple comp.

The main reason i wanted windows on it is basically because i'm more familar with windows.

After hearing all the advice(thank you very much), i've decided just to keep the mac, maybe play with it a bit more. If i like it, i'll keep it. If i don't, i'll sell it. :p

Thanks again guys....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…