Printer and File Sharing over 2 Windows XP Machine

Pikachu 20:24 10 Nov 03

Hi Guys
I am trying to set up file sharing on two windows xp machines but having difficulties is there a simple way of setting these up? A step by step guide would be great.

Current the machines are on a network and the internet is being shared off a netgear router (RP614). One of the machines ip is and the other Any advice much appreicated

Many Thanks

A_World_Maker 20:27 10 Nov 03

I assume the printer has been installed as a 'Network' and or 'Shared' Printer?

Have you used the 'Sharing' function when you look at the Properties tab in the Hard disc?

Are both Machines using the same Network Group?

Pikachu 20:36 10 Nov 03

There not on a group as of yet, the printer is connected to my machine downstairs which I want shared (not currently networked)

A_World_Maker 20:42 10 Nov 03

Try reinstalling it as a 'Network' Printer... File sharing can only be done is the sharing computers are of the same Group.... on a XP home OS it defaults to MSHOME, although this can be changed, it must be changed on all the machines... Have you tried running the Network Wizard? This will also create an executable file that will adjust the network settings on each machine, so they will talk.

Hope that helps?

Pikachu 21:04 10 Nov 03

I now can see both machines in the workgroup mshome, but when connecting to the mahcine upstairs it gves me an error

\\PC1 is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact teh admin to see if you have access permission.

Any ideas what I have missed.

A_World_Maker 21:20 10 Nov 03

Ouch.... I suffer this one quite often, it seems to only occur when I forget and start the computers in the 'wrong' order!

You can set permissions for other users via each hard disc sharing option, but this can be useless is no one else is 'logged on'. Check your Ethernet adaptors properties, make sure Network sharing is selected as a driver.

I assume you all... use logon names and passwords?

Pikachu 21:28 10 Nov 03

I havent set passwords as yet was going to look into that later.

In the LAN properties the fle and printer sharing is ticked but still cant seem to access pc1 :(

A_World_Maker 21:32 10 Nov 03

Look in your network properties and check/select the logon 'no authentication required'...

This is where I hold my hands up and say... I'm out of my depth with networks.. there are many guru's on here... anyone????

Pikachu 21:37 10 Nov 03

It was the Windows XP firewall that was blocking me from accessing the files. I can now share files from pc2 to pc1. Hopefully it shoudl work vice versa.

Many Thanks A_World_Maker for your help. Much appreciated.

Pikachu 21:41 10 Nov 03

Doh - i cant access files from pc2 to pc1 firewall is down :( very strange.

Pikachu 22:19 10 Nov 03

Done - had to give pc2 a reboot which I never did. Printer sharing now works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…