pc/mac?

stingray 14:30 12 Nov 06

My dauther is about to buy a mac laptop and looking at what you get for your money they seem overpriced, any reason why she can't buy a better specified pc based laptop and load it with the mac os?

Koochy 14:56 12 Nov 06

Personally i haven't had much to do with macs (i can only go off what little i saw but a lot i heard from a friend that had a mac and sold it to buy a windows based laptop) but when looking at prices i also think you will get a whole lot more for your money I think with mac you are paying for a name (I have just ducked into the air raid shelter for fear of the onslaught i am about to receive).
I believe that anything that can be done on a mac can also be done on a windows based laptop and with the addition of windows blinds it can be made to look like a mac if she really wants to.

Koochy

sean-278262 15:11 12 Nov 06

Macs are more expensive as you pay for the quality. Look at the battery life higher than many desktop PCs. Support second to none really. IIRC over 1000 people at their call centre to help you out, I should know I worked there. Look at the little innovations such as the power cables on the mac books simple but effective.

Yes a PC will run more software but you can emulate the running of most software for mac on a PC and vice versa. Also remember you can dual boot mac OS and windows these days. Plus there are a lot fewer viruses for Mac.

Finally the mac truely doesnt crash. I did my hardest to crash an OS X mac I had, and it would not go, even with near enough 40 different things running.

Simsy 23:29 12 Nov 06

That the answer to your question is "Yes, there is a reason why you can't!"

I'm not expert at that level but I think it's to do with the way the processor talks to the rest of the hardware... The way it does that is fundamental to the way the OS works...

As usual I'm open to correction!!

Regards,

Simsy

Quiller. 06:47 13 Nov 06

You can not put the MacIntosh operating system OSX onto a non mac laptop.

They are built differently.

stingray 17:04 13 Nov 06

Seems pretty conclusive! Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5