One off BSOD: one off machine gun noise

hatrickj 07:17 23 Dec 08

My Evesham Athlon XP2240+ bought May 2004 gave a BSOD at start up the other day, and then a few days later, what I thought was the hard disk, made a noise like a machine gun rattle. This eventually ceased. Just before that I had made rare use of the floppy drive, but that was empty, so it could not have been that.

Since then there has been no oddity or problem, so should I be concerned?

hastelloy 08:31 23 Dec 08

I've heard empty floppy drives make a noise as you describe so it could be that - doesn't explain the BSOD though. If you don't have a backup then you should be concerned.

^wave^ 08:44 23 Dec 08

could be a floppy or did you have a cd loaded i have heard them make noises before try going to the event viewer and looking at what caused the error

hatrickj 09:07 23 Dec 08

No CD loaded. Does the fact that the events were days apart make it less likely that it is the harbinger of something more serious?

xania 12:07 23 Dec 08

BSOD can be caused by anything and if you can't replicate the problem you'll never be able to find the cause. However, no repetition so I wouldn't worry. That rattle is almost certainly the floppy dosk drive trying to read when there's noting in the drive - could be some sort of virus (or other nasty scanner) having started up automatically. Next time it happens, try insweerting a floppy into the drive - that should stop it. IMHO neither any cause for concern and almost certainly timing coincidence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now