Old HD, New Machine

duplo 16:00 02 Jan 03
  duplo 16:00 02 Jan 03

I am doing to major Upgrade for my fathers PC, All we are keeping are the DVD and CDRW drives and an Old HD.

We have a new HD and I am going to install win 2k on it as I think it more stable than win ME that is on the current machine.

He wants to keep the old HD and transfer the info from one to the other. Then formatt. He has backed some things up.

I would rather formatt the drive and put it in "fresh" to the new machine, as it has been used for years (Win 98, then upgrade to Win ME) and has accumulated years of Junk and probabbly viruses that the Scanner has picked up.

Should I push this point and tell him the formatt and forget once he has backed up or am I just being over precautious?

Thanks.

dth 16:05 02 Jan 03

I would agree with you. Copy the needed data and re-format the drive.

DieSse 16:06 02 Jan 03

When you have set up the new disk, and installed an up to date Av program (!) - then copy all the data from the old disk into a folder on the new one. That way you'll not have forgotten anything you should have backed up.

Then you should Virus check the old disk folder, and reformat, to clean up, the old drive.

When you are sure you have taken off all the data and settings you want from the old drive contents, then you can delete the folder you made. Alawys wait a bit longer than you think before doing the delete - there's always something you've forgotten about!!

duplo 16:15 02 Jan 03

Hmmm.

OK. I shall have another go telling to back up anyways, as I think a clean sheet is awlays best in things like this.

Cheers

duplo 16:16 02 Jan 03

Hmmm.

OK. I shall have another go telling to back up anyways, as I think a clean sheet is awlays best in things like this.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…