Old Apple iPOD connection to Laptop

Toria 18:30 08 Dec 08

I hope the heading makes sense! I have a Nano so I do have an iTunes account, but my daughter gave me her old Apple iPod which has a lot more memory, but when I open iTunes it does not seem to connect, I do get a message which comes up (sorry can't remember what it says) I have tried going through the Device Manager but no joy, can anyone give me any advice in what I should do?

Toria 19:51 08 Dec 08

I have just read the help message on iPOD USB Connection and clicked on the link, I followed the instructions but where it says USB Mass Sorage Device, that is not listed when I went through to Computer Management - any advice please? It is odd as it works when I plug in my Nano.

Cessna 21:32 08 Dec 08

some of the older generation ipods, up to generation 3 (the version with the scroll wheel and four buttons above the wheel) are firewire, not usb.

its confusing, and annoying the actual end of the cable that goes into the ipod is the same for old style Firewire ipods and new USB ipods, but they are incompatible.

if you are trying to connect an old firewire ipod to a laptop using what is going into a usb plug it will not work, will not be recognised, and most likely will crash the ipod and freeze it up.

you will need to run it on a firewire cable or dock to a pc as most laptops do not have firewire connections.

Toria 19:00 09 Dec 08

Hi, I don't know what you mean by a firewire cable, are you saying that I will be unable to use this iPOD on my laptop?

Toria 19:00 09 Dec 08

Hi, I don't know what you mean by a firewire cable, are you saying that I will be unable to use this iPOD on my laptop?

Cessna 10:11 11 Dec 08

hi toria. usb cables are the more recent way of connecting the ipod ( or anything ) to a pc or laptop. before usb was so widely used, Apple had their own proprietary connection cable called Firewire. The first few generation ipods (up until they got colour screens in generation 4, I think) were all firewire cables. the cables themselves look similar, the end that goes into the ipod is identical and so a usb cable will fit into your ipod... but the end that goes into the computer is very different.

attaching an ipod that should be firewire to a laptop using a usb cable will not be recognised. the laptop wont "see" it at all. the ipod might display a message like "this ipod is not meant to work with this equipment" or it might not say anything.

if your ipod does not have a colour screen it will be a firewire connection it needs. if your laptop is modern (within the last 5 yrs or so) it will certainly not have a firewire connection, as this is now an obsolete type of connection. Apple saw the sense and adopted usb to bring them up to date with all the competition.

there will be no way of putting a firewire card into your laptop. you should be able to buy a firewire card and put it into your computer though, and use that for the ipod.

you can read about it here:
click here

as i say, it is now a dead format.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…