new xp pro machine and system restore points

johnnyrocker 20:25 22 Jan 09

evening all, i have a new machine as above and developed a prob which necessitated disable system restore and reboot and re enable i have kept an eye on it for this month and note that at anytime available restore points are only one at each time and about a week ago, from memory xp did not do this and one had many points is this new, normal, or a problem please?

johnny

johnnyrocker 14:25 23 Jan 09

no one at all?

johnny

crosstrainer 14:38 23 Jan 09

Restore points are created by windows when:

You install windows updates, or when you yourself create one.

Go to system restore to do this (worth a try now to make sure it's working)

Some third party applications will also create a restore point, but your best bet is to do this yourself prior to installing new software or new kit.

canarieslover 14:43 23 Jan 09

Well I've got 12 since the beggining of January. How much drive space do you have allocated to it? I have set mine at 12% of my 60gb primary drive ie 5gb. Reducing this will affect how many points you can store but I would have thought that you would have more than one showing.

crosstrainer 14:46 23 Jan 09

As I posted above, every time Windows installs updates, it creates a restore point. If you are concerned about HDD space you can delete all but the latest point by usin disk cleanup (be sure that your latest restore point is valid first)

I use Acronis, so always clean out the old restore points once a month or so, but with to 500GB drives, space is not an issue for me.

Stuartli 14:46 23 Jan 09

System Restore points are created if and when you install/uninstall hardware or software, new device drivers, unsigned drivers, automatic Windows Updates or manually create a Restore point if deemed necessary.

Clicking on a bold date will reveal what actions were taken to create that System Restore point.

Before using System Restore, it's always worth rebooting the system first to see if that clears any problems.

crosstrainer 14:47 23 Jan 09

...= two :))

Stuartli 14:51 23 Jan 09

The Default figure of 12 per cent of the hard drive's capacity was fixed long before today's high capacity, low cost hard drives were available.

You can comfortably reduce this figure to between three and five per cent (the panel reveals the MB total taken up).

This was the setting I used for my former 60GB hard drive, but even at one per cent its 320GB hard drive replacement still provides a large System Restore facility.

johnnyrocker 11:43 24 Jan 09

mine is at 12% of a 250g hard drive but i still as of this morning got my last used date in bold as 13th although i have used it since, question is do i have anything to worry about?

thanks so far

johnny

Stuartli 13:09 24 Jan 09

You don't need to use 12 per cent of a 250GB hard drive - one or two per cent will be perfectly ample.

System Restore points, as keeps being pointed out, depend on certain functions or activities being carried out on the system.

You may find it useful to study information on System Restore:

click here

click here

click here

johnnyrocker 20:22 24 Jan 09

i have set it to 2% and will monitor for any change

thanks

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…