New XP Machine build and strange problem

Giggle n' Bits 00:33 16 Oct 06

ok, AMD Athlon 64 3500 AM2 type, x2 Crucial 667Mhz DDR2, 250GB Samsung SATA HDisk, FDD, 16X Asus & a 52-32-52 Asus CD Writer oh and Asus M2V motherboard with Bios 604 and a Nvidia PCExpress 5700LE turbocache thing 128MB but actually says its 512MB in Nvidia control panel. Using a Microsoft Digital Media USB/PS2 on a USB 2 adapter with MS Optical mouse with V5.5 Intellitype and Intellimouse

Keep getting a different problems, have had the 480wat PSU tested, Memory tested, HDD tested, replaced the optical drives now shop I think are getting a bit fed up with me changing things.

At first i connected the Mouse and Keyboard using the USB and found this to cause a driver start issue with number i8042prt error in system log of WinXP Home.

So I cleaned HDD and installed again xp and connected the mouse and kbrd with the PS/2 adapter supplied and this stopped the error in the system log. one thing I did notice was device manager against keybaord did not show intelitype mouse or name of keyboard just standard PS2 against listing.

Then go to play a DVD using Power DVD think its version 5 what came with the black A4 model Asus drive DVD. THe DVD just wouldn't play, tried others but same.

I then looked in device manager and ticked Show Hidden devices and found a yellow exclamtion against ACPI.

When setting up the bios I installed XP with Auto set but then changed it to S3

Tried the DVD drive in my older xp machine and fine but in this new build for my kids won't have it.

Ran out of ideas, is there anything else I should check.

some other questions are whats the difference with the Asus M2V andthe M2V-TMP if anyone knows this also Should Plug n Play be enabled in bios for XP Home. ?

Appreciate all help to sort it.

wotbus@ 09:16 16 Oct 06

The problem may be the way you completed your build. I am no expert but I built my own rig earlier this year with no problems - just followed the advice from here if you can access the net somehow - click here
I realise you don't have the same mobo, but the guide has lots of information which will apply with regard to the order of completing your build. Nothing more frustrating than a collection of new bits which won't talk to each other ;-), but all is not lost. There are other sites dedicated to builds so you are not far to be finished. Good luck.

wotbus@ 09:18 16 Oct 06

Oooops - just re-read your thread. For some reason I assumed you had "built" your PC. Different kettle of fish, sorry.

Stuartli 09:32 16 Oct 06

Disable Plug 'n Play in the Bios.

>>For some reason I assumed you had "built" your PC>>

Well that's the impression I get from the thread title and query.

Giggle n' Bits 10:49 16 Oct 06

Plug n Play is disabled.
The DVD won't play DVD's but will play audio. Power DVD starts then seems to freeze in the welcome screen then shuts down back to windows desktop. Refresh rate 1024x768 and graphics at 75Hz also tried 72hz.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…