New Memory in win 98se machine

Muckle 17:41 28 Mar 05

I have installed a 2nd stick of sdram in my mothers win 98se machine, but it doesn't recognise the full amount. The pc had 128mb installed in 1 slot and i installed 256mb in the spare slot, but it only shows up as a total of 256.
Any ideas where I might have gone wrong?

interzone55 17:45 28 Mar 05

Some motherboards are choosey about installed memory, especially "double-sided" memory. Check your new stick, if it has chips on both sides see if you can swap it for a single sided stick.

Diemmess 18:22 28 Mar 05

Interesting thought about single v. doublesided memory.

That may have been the trouble when I chose extra memory for a daughter's PC. It matched speed and other specs, but had much larger capacity.....Every sort of instability until I took the older, and small chunk out. Even together they did not exceed the max for the system.

I thought the problem was unmatched pairs on an old mobo.

woodchip 18:30 28 Mar 05

change the memory round

wobblymike 18:44 28 Mar 05

I have just cured the identical problem on a friend's PC

Check to ensure that the 256 MB stick you put in is the right clock speed fpr your MOBO e.g. if your clock speed is 66 MHZ and you put in a PC 133 stick of RAM only half of it will be seen, I have also seen the same thing happen when a PC 133 RAM stick was fitted to a 100 MHZ mobo. If you don't know what your clock speed is download belarc advisor (just do a google search for it) run it and it will tell you in the top right of the information box presented what your clock speed is.

Muckle 14:20 30 Mar 05

You must be right - the older stick was 100mhz and the new one is 133 - I couldn't find any 100mhz locally and it was a rush job!
Thanks for all the contributions

DieSse 14:53 30 Mar 05

It's almost certainly not a speed problem, but as alan14 and Dieemess said, a memory organisation problem. Putting wrong speed mamory into a system will often cause problems, but never the problem where only half the capacity is seen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…