new machine, 98se or XP

GuyR 09:54 15 Sep 03

Have just changed my logon ID from newuser, finally m,anaged to get new machine up and running from first self build, thanks to all who helped with formatting issue, Q is would I be better off buying XP for the new machine and loading now rather than after I have re-installed all my other bits of software?.

I have found 98SE to be pretty stable for me, but still slow to boot even with little on the machine.

New M/c AMD 2400+ xp, 512 ddr Ram, Asrock k7s8xe M/b, Mentor 128 mb Geforce mx440-8x graphics. 80Gb maxtor drive. DVD Drive and Lite on 48x cd/rw

Will xp offere any real benifits other than it is a supported system from M/soft and 98 has been dropped?

cina 10:01 15 Sep 03

until Bill Gates sorts xp out (with our help)i would partition your disc and install xp and 98 (98 is no doubt the best sysstem)
best
cina

Legolas 10:02 15 Sep 03

Well normally they say 'if it aint broke don't fix it' and 98 seems to have worked for you....but having used all the WIN OS,s I think XP is the most stable also it has the system restore faciclity which 98 doesnt have, it has the NTFS file system whch is more secure, it has many more generic drivers very handy when having to reinstall hardware and overall I would revommend it.

If you choose to go with it I would install it in a clean hard drive and then add the other software.

Legolas 10:03 15 Sep 03

opps I forgot to spell check :-}

AndySD 10:07 15 Sep 03

I have to agree with Legolas on this one.

Seadog 10:12 15 Sep 03

I have just recently re-formatted my hard drive and instead of putting 98 back on I took the plunge and purchased XP (having previously said I would stay with 98 indefinately!)and am quite pleased with it. The new interface is taking a bit of getting used to although you can change it to the "classic" look if you want.
I agree wholeheartedly with Legolas on the other points he mentioned, especially the drivers included. I think that 98 is a bit dated now, being five years old which is a very long time in computing terms.

MjM Hellfire 10:44 15 Sep 03

Go with XP...yes it has it's faults, but so does 98 and all other operating systems. XP is by far the best thing Microsoft have brought out OS wise.

It's more stable and a lot more idiot proof than previous versions. It recovers well and has better security than 98. WIndows 98 will fade away long before XP does, so move on and go with the new stuff.

I have used XP for quite some time now and do a lot of tweaking to it, never had any problems, solid, fast and reliable...IMHO.

cina 10:59 15 Sep 03

nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds.
Our virus friends are now targetig xp, wait for the next one. then theres undoudably Beta issues to come. I don't see the logic in getting rid of 98. Plenty of room on hard discs these days.
cina. And as for stability, 4 yhears not a problem, just keep it clean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…