New Hard Disc for E- Machine

dth 22:28 14 May 05

A friend bought a E-Machine from PC World 3 years ago. The hard disc is sounding a bit dodgy and they are going to buy a new drive (no problem really as they are so cheap).

The PC came with a restore disc (rather than a full Win XP disc) will they be able to use this to set their system up again once the new drive is installed?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:33 14 May 05

If the opsystem is held in a hidden partion on the hard drive and only activated by the restore disk then the new drive will not have any thing to restore from.

woodchip 22:36 14 May 05

No there best option is get a Imaging Program like Acronis True Image. Norton Ghost etc make Image and load this to new drive, put old drive away for safe keeping

dth 22:36 14 May 05

Many thanks for your post Fruit Bat

It it is a restore disc - not a restore partition.

It is just that I have read somewhere that these restore discs are tied to the original hard disc.

Pooke100 22:41 14 May 05

maybe, maybe not.

My suggestion, buy the new hard drive install it as slave, keeping the old in the computer as master, then clone the old disk over to the new. Using something like Acronis true image. Then take out the old and set the new one as master. That way they won't need to reinstall and lose all their software, file's and what not.

You can do it in the trial version of Acronis so you don't need to buy the software. I did this very same thing on an e-machines (5+ years old) running ME.

Don't wait for the hard disk to fail, do it as soon as possible.

just food for thought......

Pooke100 22:42 14 May 05

I'm going to go book some typing lessons...... must learn to type faster!

woodchip 22:47 14 May 05

NO EXCUSE! your well intentioned

dth 11:49 15 May 05

thanks the cloning idea sounds just the ticket.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…