//some 3rd party need geo

New 40GB ATA100 HDD fitted in old machine question

Giggle n' Bits 20:00 01 Jul 04

Hello,
Fitted a 40GB HDD in a old Pbell machine to run Win98Se, when fitting system wouldn't boot at all so I changed the jumper caps on the HDD to be 32 Clip, it now boots and the HDD shows as 33822MB which I translate to close to 34GB (correct me if I am wrong please)

My main concern is with changing the jumper on the HDD to get it to register with the computer, is this correct and going to cause any problems ?

My idea was something I read a while back but cannot recall where from.

AndySD 20:39 01 Jul 04

what make is the hard disk

Gongoozler 21:15 01 Jul 04

Hi DiDumms. My uderstanding is that 32 Clip is a facility in some hard drives have for artificially reducing the effective size to 32G. If you have to do this to get the drive to boot on your old P-Bell, then it may be because you BIOS is old enough to have a 32G limit click here. If this is the case, your options are

1) See if there is a BIOS update for your computer that removes the barrier.

2) See if your hard drive manufacturer has a software utility that overcomes the barrier

3) Get a PCI ATA interface card

4) Get a new motherboard.

click here

Giggle n' Bits 23:35 01 Jul 04

& also M8 Gongoozler (Hi), now I understand what the 32 Clip does from ontrack pdf html.

Your other Html link was dead(Make a shorter link)

IBM HDD think there should be a utility from there site to sort this out, as not a big fan of BIOS Flashing old dogs.

Gongoozler 19:18 04 Jul 04

Hi DiDumms. The Makeashorterlink link works for me, but it's a bit slow. It's a link the the Maxtor Knowledge Base, and refers to the question "What is a Bios limitation or BIOS capacity barrier?". I'll try poating the full URL, but I don't think there is much chance of it getting through unscathed.
click here**&p_li=

Gongoozler 19:19 04 Jul 04

Amazing. Even without the end bit, the link still works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…