Networking Two Machines (4 Idiot)

Carol Sco 10:42 04 Feb 03

I want to network my two machines (win98& xp pro) and share my NTL cable connection between them.
I am thinking on this hub click here
as it's a local outlet (hate waiting on the post) but not sure if I need a "cross over lead" as well.
I have two CAT5 UTP leads (supplied with NTL modem)is that all I need?
I am sorry this is a repeat for many of you but after reading all the previuos posts I am more confused than ever.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Carol

Sir Radfordin™ 10:50 04 Feb 03

The hub is only a 10mb one so it may be worth opting for a 10/100 hub - though that will only be impt. if you have 10/100 cards.

If using a hub you only need to have patch cables to run from the hub to the cards. If you don't want to use a hub and only link 2 PCs then you can use a cross over cable.

Carol Sco 11:00 04 Feb 03

I have the NIC cards set up,all thre are 10/100 so I will look again at the hubs. Would a hub be a better idea or a cross over cable be fine? i will need to moves files over from one to the other to back up as one machine has no writer.
What are the advantages of using the hub? I was thinking it might be simple to set up with the hub.
Sorry to be a pain.

Sir Radfordin™ 11:04 04 Feb 03

Using a hub allows you to connect more than 2 machines. You may also suffer less in terms of lost packets (bits of data not getting to the destination) but for 2 computers a simple crossover cable will be fine.

All you need to do is plug it into the two cards, and then make sure both computers are in the same workgroup, using the same network protocol (TCP/IP is often simplest and the only option in XP) and the rest should be fairly simple.

XP has a network setup wizzard that allows you to create a disk that will work on the Win98 machine that should help you get things setup fairly quickly and without too many problems.

Carol Sco 11:08 04 Feb 03

Thank you very much...........shoes are on and I am off to the shops!
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, really appreciate it.

Carol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…