Networking between W98 and XP machines

Jem 07:54 18 Oct 05

I will shortly have 3 PCs. I am buying a new PC (which will have XP-Pro) and this will join 2 existing PCs in my home - 1 with XP-Pro the other a 200MHz 500Mb Ram, old machine running W98. I believe the older PC will not be up to running XP.

Is it straightforward to network all 3 even with the 2 operating systems? I am thinking of either a wireless network or one using the mains wiring in my home.

Also is it feasible to install a USB 2.0 card in the oldest machine (it doesn't currently have a USB socket).

Thanks

mgmcc 09:30 18 Oct 05

Networking the different operating systems is not a problem - I have XP Pro, XP Home & 98SE networked and can run wireless adapters in 98SE (which is a laptop) using either PCMCIA or USB.

Also, one of my desktops is dual boot (98SE & XP Pro) and I can run a Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card under 98SE using the supplied drivers - I do know though that others have had problems trying to use USB 2.0 with 98SE and I don't know if the first edition of 98 would support it.

Jem 21:48 18 Oct 05

Thanks for your advice. I do have 98SE so will hope to install a USB 2.0 card successfully. Good to know "mixed system" networking works!

007al 06:15 19 Oct 05

follow the steps in the network wizard,and you should be fine.you are prompted to insert a floppy disc,this is to use in systems that are not running xp.the two xp systems will not need it,as they both have the wizard.

Jem 09:38 23 Oct 05

Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…