NetgearDG834PN MIMO to Netwrk a PC, Mac + printer?

the-dodger 22:43 11 Mar 06

Hi,

I would like to create a home network with a PC desktop, a new apple G4 laptop (with airport extreme card) and a printer.

The PC and the printer can be connected directly into the router and do not need to be wireless.

I would like to be able to print from the laptop wirelessly without having the PC switched on.

I would like to be able to exchange files to/from both computers.

And I would like to use it to connect to the internet with my 2Mbps ISP.

Can anyone recommend a router/ASDL modem that will do this for me?

I have been looking at the Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps and the DG834PN MIMO version. Would one of these do the job or would I need to buy additional hardware?

Thanks in advance...

Roger

mgmcc 21:00 12 Mar 06

<<< I would like to be able to print from the laptop wirelessly without having the PC switched on >>>

In that case, you need one of:

(a) A printer that supports "Network Printing", i.e. connects directly by ethernet to a wired network - the "wireless router".

(b) A network "Print Server" that plugs into a wired network with a USB port to connect a conventional USB printer.

(c) A Wireless Router/ADSL Modem with built-in Print server providing a USB printer port.

Note that with option (b), Print Servers with a Parallel Printer Port are more common than those with a USB Port.

The Netgear DG834G range will perform the router function for you - internet access and file sharing - but you still need a Print Server unless (a) above applies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5