Need help with OLD , ancient, Machine (486dx)

P_Ghost5 11:53 05 Dec 03

Hi there
This is my first post and a strange one at that. An elderly lady brought me a 486dx to fix....
right after the prompt screen it displays an error message that reads "DDO INTEGRITY ERROR"
It then only wants to restart..
What could the problem be???
Please help me out
Thanx
Paul

Djohn 12:01 05 Dec 03

click here "DDO" [Dynamic drive overlay]

Beat me to it!

Other integrity issues - CPU click here

P_Ghost5 13:29 05 Dec 03

Thanx guys, really appreciate it..
One thing though. on the landmark site they talk about their emergency disk... where can i download that. By the looks of things i need the disk manager software etc etc.

Terry Brown 13:50 05 Dec 03

Go to click here, where you will see selection of links to various boot formats

P_Ghost5 14:00 05 Dec 03

Maybe i was a bit hasty. It is just a normal boot disk. What i need is actually the disk manager software??

Before you start down that laborious route, I think you will have to look inside to check the HDD, and what size it is. You could enter setup and enter the HDD details manually.

If you have a (small) spare drive, fit that and enter the details. That may at least get it up and running. You could then format, etc., the old drive on another PC.

DDOs are a bit tricky to uninstal, I've had to do it!

P_Ghost5 12:13 10 Dec 03

Alright i seem to be making some progress. Basically it is a seagate drive, i only have version 9.50 (disk manager). I got hold of a win 95 bootdisk from bootdisk.com (awesom site) created a ontrack disk with disk manager. Booted it up and yes it does go but then displays this error message "The compression driver can not be set up correctly"
and then moans about the version. So as far as i can tell i have to get a version of disk manager that is compatible with win 95???????
Let me know if i am on the right track
Thanx
Paul

Big Elf 12:26 10 Dec 03

The drive may have been compressed. You may need to fiddle with Autoexec.bat and Config.sys to get it to boot. Unfortunately after so long I've forgotten the steps required to boot a compressed disk but hopefully someone else will have a clue. In those days a disk could be compressed under windows or DOS as I remember doing it on my first PC.

Afternoon Big Elf!

See if this helps click here

P_Ghost5 13:12 10 Dec 03

Hmm that is exactly the error i get. but when trying that on the machine does not work. Because the machine does not seem to see the partition. which is strange because at one stage i did actually browse the drive.
Now i am not sure what to do. i just got the 95a bootdisk and am going to make an ontrack disk out of that but i somehow doubt that will work
?????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…