Most dangerous machine you have used?

def90csw 10:21 22 Oct 06

Was thinking about this the other day when being shown a demo of a new wood/branch chipper that a friend is buying for his forestry company. I used to use chainsaws when in productive forestry, but that was a few years ago now.

thms 11:04 22 Oct 06

AS an engineer I have worked with machinery for over 30 years and have found that the only dangerous thing about machinery is usually the person using it.

Moving parts seem to have a hypnotic effect on people and they tend to want to stick there hands into it for some reason.

When I was younger and health and safety wasn't such a big issue there was a lathe with a large job in it and the operator put it into high speed by mistake and the job shot out hit the roof and mangle a couple of benches. Nobody was hurt but I think the guy had to go home and change his trousers.

hzhzhzhz 11:08 22 Oct 06

I have used lots of large and small machinery over the past 35 years,all potentially dangerous but after witnessing an accident close up, I would say that one of the most awful pieces of equipment would be a chainsaw without a chain brake. I hope none of you are still using one.If you are,get rid of it before it leaves a long jagged cut down your face.

def90csw 11:17 22 Oct 06

Would NEVER use a chainsaw without chain brake guard. In fact even if i'm cutting up a few logs i kit up into full chainsaw protection trousers, smock, combi hat & mits.

As a lecturer at college said years ago, you cut you hand off it will not grow again!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:38 22 Oct 06

I teach people to repair and use a lot of machinery but these things frighten me to death.

click here

must be my age wouldn't have bothered me 10 or so years ago.

:0)

Spark6 11:45 22 Oct 06

*machine* I have used, but how about the ladder!

I have lost count of the number of accidents, some fatal, others quite serious, due to the inappropriate use of these everyday tools/implements.

egapup 11:46 22 Oct 06

The most dangerous machinary i've used was a Russian car which was loaned to me for a week and called a Moscovitch....dear oh dear.

spuds 12:14 22 Oct 06

I can look at this in very different lights. Chainsaws, Hand Grinders and Motor Cycles would be at the top of my list.

In all cases though,people and their error's could be classed as the most dangerous machine perhaps :O(

martjc 12:19 22 Oct 06

...possibly the most dangerous piece of [machinery] one could use is...

The pen!

johndrew 12:25 22 Oct 06

Very true!!

And of course when it runs out of ink and the `blade` is not long enough you can use it as an arrow or dart!!

Monoux 12:35 22 Oct 06

How about the Motor Car for the prize-- kills hundreds every year

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…