Merging avi files on Win7 machine

allang 13:45 07 Apr 11

I want to merge 2 avi videos eg cd1 & cd2 to create 1 video. Virtualdub seems popular but when I run it it sez it needs "a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec ......". Googling suggests FFDShow but looking at it , there seems to be a lot of options to configure. Questions are ...

1.Is this the simplest free video joiner
2.Which codecs needed for win7
3.Where to install codecs and what options to use
4.Is there a free video joiner that has the necessary codecs as part of the package.

Any help would be appreciated.Thanx in advance.

Have you tried Windows Live Movie Maker? That should already be installed or computer or available for free download from Microsoft click here.

If you're having trouble playing the video files then I would suggest installing the K-Lite codec - click here

allang 14:59 07 Apr 11

Tried win live movie maker but I can´t save as avi file. Saving the merged file seems to take forever as it converts to wmv file and I´ll have to convert back to avi. Don´t know if quality will be affected.

Les28 15:22 07 Apr 11

Is HJ Split any good, avoid the adverts on this page and click lower down the page just above the Video Converter advert, where it says "Download HJ Split from the developers website", supposed to be OK for windows7.

click here

or the developers site

click here

I believe HJ Split can only join files that were originally split using this program in the first place.

allang, I didn't realise Windows Live Movie Maker can only save to .wmv. My apologies. If you want to give FFDShow a shot, it's included in that codec (in a preconfigured format) that I linked to in my previous post.

ashdav 23:39 07 Apr 11

You can use VirtualDub for almost anything but the user interface is not for the uninitiated.
An easier option is AviDemux click here select the top option under the Windows header, but you will still need to install all the codecs needed for this.
You can either use the KLite codec pack click here and install it without player so you retain access to Windows Media Player or use click here for Windows Media Player.

ashdav 23:43 07 Apr 11

Sorry forgot to add that all the options I posted are free.

allang 09:05 08 Apr 11

Used a prog called Free Video Joiner and it did what I wanted. Thanx again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…