Mackerel dispute ... sounds a bit fishy, to me.

Aitchbee 14:27 PM 22 Jan 13

The Marine Conservation Society says mackerel should be eaten less often and people should eat 'herrings or sardine' instead.

Having many years ago 'upgraded' to tinned mackerel fillets [handy ring-pulls] from sardines and pilchards [Herring is nice also but triggers off my gout attacks], I will be very disappointed if I cannot buy the fish from my local bigname store ... namely Lidl, who stopped selling tinned sardines some years ago.

What do you think?

Quickbeam 14:46 PM 22 Jan 13

Holy mackerel!

Is this the end of a summer mackerel sky? A sardine sky doesn't have the right sort of ring pull to carry it off...

Quickbeam 14:48 PM 22 Jan 13

And with the new technology coming soon, can we print our own from an olive oil or tinned tomato cartridge?

Aitchbee 14:49 PM 22 Jan 13

QB - it's not funny ... I'm on two tins a day ;o(

Quickbeam 14:56 PM 22 Jan 13

This sounds even more fishy.

Forum Editor 15:01 PM 22 Jan 13

There should be no reason why your supermarket not to have mackerel at all. All that's happening is that people are being asked to eat it less often, and choose herrings or sardines instead.

Aitchbee 15:08 PM 22 Jan 13

Nice link, QB.

You may be right there, FE, but I would expect the price of mackerel to go up. I will be stocking up!

Quickbeam 15:10 PM 22 Jan 13

I'm quite partial to peppered hot smoked mackerel for a change from kippers for Saturday teatime.

Forum Editor 15:23 PM 22 Jan 13

"If I remember correctly the FE likes his piece of Mackerel every now and then."

When I was a teenager I used to spend summers with a few friends, camping on a small daffodil farm in the Isles of Scilly. The farmer would often take us out in the evenings to fish for mackerel from his small boat. There were so many fish we would get a big boxful in no time, and would come back to the small island beach in front of his farm to cook the fresh Mackerel over a fire.

Some fresh crusty bread, tomatoes with Olive oil, and a bottle of wine as we watched the sun setting after a hot day completed some of the best fish meals I have ever tasted.

Happy days.

canarieslover 15:44 PM 22 Jan 13

Forum Editor

There is nothing I like better than freshly caught and cooked mackerel. Smoked mackerel isn't too bad but I have to draw the line at 'fresh' mackerel from the wet fish counter at the supermarket as it just doesn't taste the same.

Your Lidl must have a different stock policy to our local shop as I buy their sardines almost every week. At 33p per tin they are also excellent value.

Al94 15:45 PM 22 Jan 13

The problem appears to be that mackerel are no longer being fished sustainably. Politics and greed are getting in the way of common sense. The feud over mackerel quotas between the EU and Norway on the one hand, and Iceland and the Faroes on the other has hit stalemate. If the countries involved could only agree sensible catch limits this could still be a certified sustainable fishery. The issue could be resolved at a stroke, and we could all go back to eating mackerel again with a clear conscience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X