Machine types 00000000 continuously when I start to type.

Eileanbeag 13:07 11 Mar 12

Regardless of what software my computer types a series of zeros when I start to type as if the zero key is depressed conttinuously. I have returned computer to facory settings and changed keyboard all to no avail. I am running Windows Vista Home 32 bit. It is maddening - can you help?

johndrew 13:46 11 Mar 12

Sounds suspiciously like a stuck key.

I am presuming this is a desktop PC. Turn the PC off and unplug the keyboard. Turn the keyboard upside down and give it a shake; you may well see dust/muck fall out.

Plug the keyboard back in and then boot the PC. Do not touch any keys on the keyboard. Select the on-screen keyboard (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Ease of Access/On-Screen Keyboard) and try typing with this - it should type without the problem. Try the keyboard again and see if it works correctly; if it doesn't you will need to replace it.

Eileanbeag 14:05 11 Mar 12

No this is not the answer - the same problem is still happening with a brand new keyboard bought specially for the purpose

Woolwell 14:21 11 Mar 12

Is it only zeroes and does it occur with all programs?

Eileanbeag 14:58 11 Mar 12

Yes - it happens in web addresses, and also word and any typing

Eileanbeag 15:00 11 Mar 12

We attempted to do a CHKDSK and also sfc/scannow but neither would work; a black screen flashed on very briefly and that was it

Woolwell 15:04 11 Mar 12

Very odd as you've done the obvious things like changing keyboard and restoring pc. Is it a USB keyboard? Try a different port. This shouldn't make a difference but sometimes a USB port can play up.

Do the zeroes stop?

Woolwell 15:05 11 Mar 12

Beginning to suspect hardware failure.

rdave13 15:08 11 Mar 12

When you search for CMD in the search box, then right click CMD in the list and run as administrator. Type sfc /scannow noting the space between 'c' and '/'.

If you have a ps/2 connected keyboard then try a usb one or vice versa. Sure you could borrow one just to try. Depends if you have a ps/2 connection though.

Eileanbeag 15:38 11 Mar 12

Hi,

Have changed usb and keyboard now works fine thanks for your help. Ran sfc /scannow and had the following result - how do I fix this and what does it mean?

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th em. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32> Got as far as finding C:\Windows:\Logs\CBS and could not find the next part of the file. Did try to paste into Search and got Access denied. I can live with this but just wondered what files were corrupt and how they affect Windows

Aitchbee 16:06 11 Mar 12

Eileanbeag - sounds like the '8 Duck Eggs' virus....only joking!

It's good you have control back, on your machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…