Machine as Gateway??

imperial4cereal 21:28 12 Jan 09

I just got a wireless USB modem and it works like a dream. Is it possible to dedicate one comp as a gateway and split the connection through a switch???

Strawballs 22:13 12 Jan 09

You could connect the switch to the modem and PC's to the switch or better still get a modem/router assuming you are not on cable.

MAJ 22:18 12 Jan 09

I'm not sure, but I think HateBreed86 means he is using a mobile broadband dongle.

Strawballs 22:23 12 Jan 09

Misread the question sorry, you should be able to set up ICS on the machine with the internet connection and connect the switch to that as I did back when my network consisted of a HUB connected to the machine with the dial up connection running 98se.

woodchip 22:24 12 Jan 09

Why? there is no benefit as I can see, only a Slow down For comps Using it. The Wireless Router Modem should have a Firewall to protect from incoming bombs

Strawballs 10:25 13 Jan 09

I don't think a router would work with a wireless air card dongle.

imperial4cereal 19:50 13 Jan 09

Thanks for the help =) .Alright I now have a switch and one crossover cable. And I know how to set up ICS. Before I begin, will I need another crossover cable to connect devices to my switch or is the one that connects it to my pc sufficient?

Strawballs 22:05 13 Jan 09

If you are using a switch you will not need crossover cables but normal network cables (cat5 or cat6)and yes you would need 1 from gateway to switch and one from switch to each other computer

imperial4cereal 23:54 13 Jan 09

I've read some walkthroughs on connecting an xbox 360 via RJ45 directly to a computer and connecting to live through its broadband connection. Essentially I'm trying to do the same thing, the only difference is I want to connect my pc to a switch then connect the 360 to it.
so; PC > Switch > 360

I also have unlimited bandwidth usage. And it connects at 7.2 mbps with virtually no latency. (or has yet to be seen)

I am fairly new to networking and could use some assistance with said project.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…