MacbookPro Keyboard problem(disabling in terminal)

andyo123 15:43 29 Oct 15

Hi,

After reading this thread; click here was incredibly helpful, I have noticed a confusing anomaly with my keyboard.

Full info: - Liquid spill on 13" macbook pro late 2011 - Replaced the keyboard, as it had stopped working (was outputting strange symbols, and the power button stopped working) - After full clean of logic board (isopropyl), and reassembling, computer started in "safe mode". Keyboard still acting strange (symbols), and i noticed the SHIFT key must be stuck or something, as it kept booting in safe mode, and was selecting any text / files i grabbed. - I left for a few more days, and it now boots normally, but keyboard is still funky. I'm using an external USB one. I've noticed every now and then that the command key must stick, as it starts command-clicking. Tapping the command key on the external keyboard seems to fix this (temporarily). - I found the above thread to disable keyboard in terminal - great

...this is where it gets strange.

• After putting in the terminal command to disable keyboard - perfect, exactly what i was after (internal keyboard disabled)
  • When i tried to re-enable the internal keyboard with the terminal command... THE KEYBOARD NOW FUNCTIONS PERFECTLY!
  • .....for a few minutes. Then it's back to the strange symbols.
  • The only key that doesn't work in that small window is the left hand side "SHIFT" key.

It certainly has given me hope. Maybe the replacement keyboard i bought is also faulty? i have tried re-seating the ribbon cable. Maybe an issue with the keyboard connection on logic board (this DID have what appeared to be some corrosion that i cleaned)? Is it possibly a software issue (like the keyboard file got corrupted or something)??

Any ideas here?? Any help much appreciated!

Kind regards, Andy

..which

Macworld 10:23 30 Oct 15

What did you spill on it? One of our team spilt baileys on their MacBook and obviously being sticky it did more damage to the Mac than just the keyboard. And that may be the case with yours too - the liquid could have also got inside the computer... So it might not just be the keyboard that is the problem...

I wonder if removing the shift key that you think is causing the problem might solve your issue. If what's happening is it's getting stuck, and you can take it away and retrain yourself to use the other shift key, then maybe it will be ok?

Another suggestion, plug in an external keyboard and see if the issues continue, that would show you if it's because you are tapping certain keys on the laptop.

You might just have to face the fact that you did more than damage the keyboard though...

Macworld 10:24 30 Oct 15

Here's a tutorial on removing keys on a MacBook keyboard: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now