Macbook-very confused which wireless router to buy

Lou-lou 22:20 07 Aug 07

Just bought a Macbook, 2Gb, for my daughter going to uni on an art foundation course.I have a PC with a Sagem modem which does not work with the mac.Want to buy a wireless router for my PC which will work with the mac too so that the mac can be used elsewhere in the house. So confused by all the different makes and opinions and problems published and don't want to waste money and buy the wrong thing.I subscribe to Tiscali who wouldn't or couldn't advise on the mac.Seems to be a wide gap in price of routers £25-£80, should one assume the cheaper end will be no good for my needs? My PC never moves so does not need wireless, can use with a cable as long as wireless is available for the mac.Please please advise-starting to panic!!! Course starts in 3 weeks and need to get used to using it. lou-lou

Ashrich 22:30 07 Aug 07

Everybody has their favourites and their pet hates when it comes to wireless routers , the best thing to do is to just buy one that is a reasonable price , about the middle of your £25 to £80 observation , say a D-Link or Netgear or Linksys , well known but not too expensive . These types are well used by the contributors on this forum and if you needed help it wouldn't be too far away . A Mac should connect to any wireless router , and if there were any problems then either you could ask again on here or on one of the many Mac forums .

Ashley

Strawballs 22:31 07 Aug 07

click here Any one of these will work for Tiscali as for the Mac, is it wireless enabled if not you will need a wireless adapter that will work with the mac click here

Kate B 00:36 08 Aug 07

The Macbook has a built-in wireless adaptor, called Airport, so it doesn't need another one. Any wireless modem router will do the job; I like the Netgear DG834G which works perfectly with both my Mac and my PC.

Lou-lou 10:20 08 Aug 07

Thank you to all of you who replied. I think the Netgear may be the answer, I had read some problems from macbook forums associated with it but if Kate has it and it works then that is a good recommendation.Is it safe to buy over the net? If you get it from a shop and they say it is OK at least you can take it back? Perhaps a better price on the net?

Kate B 10:33 08 Aug 07

Buy online from a big reputable retailer like Amazon or Dabs.com and you'll get a slightly better price, and you can of course return to them, though it's more of a hassle. Otherwise I often buy kit from my local John Lewis, which is marginally more expensive but always a pleasure to buy from.

Strawballs 23:08 08 Aug 07

click here I would recomend and always get good reports on this forum and their customer services are great.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5