Macbook blocking other computers on the network?

antsbell1 15:11 02 Nov 14

Hey there, Having issues at home in a new flat with our wifi connection. Basically whenever my girlfriend uses her macbook to connect to the wireless router (an O2 Wireless box II) it connects fine for her, but while she's on, it blocks every other computer out from the internet (PS4, phones, flatmate’s phones…) So while i’m on my computer and she’s on hers, even though I have what looks like a perfect connection from the top right symbol on my screen, i can’t do anything. Once she get’s off, it takes a little while for the internet to return, but I can connect back on fine.

Trouble shooting, i had changed the security settings on the router from WEP to WPA and WPA2, which seemed solve the problem. But for some reason after a while the router decided to switch back to WEP as it’s default, and any time i try to change it again, it isn’t having a bar of it.

Anyway, so i don’t know if it’s the router, or my girlfriend’s laptop that’s the issue, i’ve never heard of anything like this happening ever.

Any help would be super appreciated. Cheers

Jollyjohn 18:33 02 Nov 14

I would have expected a modern router to use wpa security, maybe contact O2 about this.

As for blocking connections to other devices - I can only think of IP address conflict - but this would only block one other device - the one with the same IP address.

The router should be set DHCP on - check number of addresses available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…