MacAfee Virus scan update

Epirb406 20:49 01 Oct 03

Hi all, this is a transfer from helpromm, wasn't sure where was the right place to put it, maybe here is best!

I have MacAfee virus scan for which the updates have expired. I have tried to purchase another year on the web.

MacAfee have sent me an order number and bank details and asked me to make a bank tranfer to their account.

Is this normal, everything else I have paid for on the web has been by credit card.

Probably legit but would like to hear from someone who has done it.

Thanks, Epirb.

Steven135 20:53 01 Oct 03

Stick to paying by credit card would be my advice you have comeback if anything goes wrong can't say that I have ever been asked to pay in this way sounds iffy to me.

GlynH 23:33 01 Oct 03

I have McAfee Viruscan Pro V6 and my free update license has, too, just expired. I don't know if you have tried the following.

Have you clicked on the "Purchase" button in the auto update window when it tells you that your license has expired. If so it should take you to the UK eStore. The first hyperlink you should come to is 'Virus definitions renewal - for LISENCED CUSTOMERS ONLY (credit card payments only). CLick this link and it should take to a page where you can get a quoted price in GBP. Around £12 depending on the version I think.

Personally, I think I'll upgrade the software to the more recent version, partly as, like you, I am a bit wary of this renewal thing (and I'm not 100% sure of the site, although the checkout section is secured).

GlynH 23:43 01 Oct 03

Epirb406,

Forgot to say that once on the 'quote' page you can 'Add to Cart' and from there proceed to the checkout. You will have to register with McAfee before you can go any further but this can be done when checking out.

I'm pretty sure though that the site is kosher.

Green 1 00:50 02 Oct 03

When my updates stopped I went to the home site and clicked on downloads, went to the bottom of the page to where it says something like version 4. ??? or higher, clicked on that and a box comes up with the latest dat files, clicked on the one I wanted Eg 4295 and you then get the opportunity to download the dat files manually, Takes a little longer but they are free. Hope this helps.

Epirb406 19:22 02 Oct 03

Will try suggestions but busy tonight, cheers for advice, will post again when resolved.

Cheers, Epirb.

richardgb 17:07 03 Oct 03

I was in the same position, but the e-mail i got allowed me to pay by credit card. The only strange thing was that when I checked the invoice they had charged me VAT at 19%.
When I queried this, they said it was because the invioce was produced in the Netherlands!

BryanT 19:29 03 Oct 03

They seem to send payment messages for renewal far in advance of the renewal date! I ignore these, and can still download updates. Presumably, my sub will expire at some point (next month?) and then I will have to renew. Last time, I had huge problems doing it online, because their form is US-oriented, and kept tripping up over the Zip code and state! (I'm in UK.) Eventually, I got there, and it all worked out.

pejj 08:35 05 Oct 03

You might want to read my, and other's, comments on viruscan updates on consumerwatch of 14.09.03

Epirb406 16:29 05 Oct 03

Hi all, thanks for help, the solution....

Went back to the web site to see if I could find a way to pay by CC. On the grounds of a question they asked on the website I checked out my copy of the program and somehow it was registered as an evaluation copy, not correct as it was bought in a box!

To solve this I unistalled it, cleaned theregistry and reinstalled. I now seem to have full access to updates and am happy but slightly confused.

Thanks for all help and assistance,

Cheers all, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…