Mac user given a compaq laptop-help!

m00chie 14:55 13 Nov 07

Good afternoon all,
Was wondering if anyone can help me or give me some advice please?

Basically my sister has just bought a new laptop and has given me her old one (compaq evo N400C) and i'd like to connect to the internet on it but haven't got a clue as to how?

To be honest I've basic knowledge of computers and I'm not familiar with windows at all-I'm a Mac user!

At home I currently have a Apple Mac computer which is connected to the internet via NTL/Virgin with a ethernet cable.

I have no phone line, only the broadband connection.

Can anyone give me any guidance or advise me of how to get this laptop connected to the internet please?

ambra4 04:50 15 Nov 07

If any firewalls are installed on any of the PCs, uninstall them.

This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus etc.

In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.

Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly.

Start IE web browser. Select-Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab

In the “Connection” screen, there are three selections:

“Never dial a connection”,

“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”

“Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.

If you cannot make a selection, select “LAN Settings”

Untick marks next to any of the displayed Options:

“Automatically detect settings”,

“Use automatic configuration script”

“Use a proxy server”.

Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page

Network Adapter Setup

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)

Click-Start-Settings-Network Connection

Double-click on the “Network Connection”

Left-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter

Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.

In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked

At bottom of display tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected

A display Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

Click-Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Click the “Properties” button

Select “Obtain an IP address automatically

Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”

Click- Advanced-Click-WINS Tab-Tick-Enable LMHOSTS Lookup if untick

Do Not Change Any Other Setting

Click “OK”.

Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

ambra4 04:54 15 Nov 07

Other Lan Card Setting

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click- Flow Control-Change to Enabled if Disabled

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your present computer and connect to the LAN port on Compaq

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck Lan Card setting

Ashrich 23:13 20 Nov 07

What Ambra has forgotton to say is that your NTL/Virgin modem will have binded itself to the MAC address of your present laptop , the best way to connect both to the Internet is to buy yourself a 4 port ethernet hub . Power down the modem for at least 5 to 10 minutes , plug the hub into the mains , connect the ethernet connection to the up port on the hub , or port one if it is auto-sensing , and the next port on the hub to the PC ( compaq ) second port to the MAC , power up the modem , wait 'til it settles , then power up the hub , then both the PC and the MAC , the PC should find the connection right away . Go to ...start/settings/control panel/network connection , right click on the Ethernet connection and tick the box saying " show when connected " or something similar .

Ashley

Ashrich 23:13 20 Nov 07

What Ambra has forgotton to say is that your NTL/Virgin modem will have binded itself to the MAC address of your present laptop , the best way to connect both to the Internet is to buy yourself a 4 port ethernet hub . Power down the modem for at least 5 to 10 minutes , plug the hub into the mains , connect the ethernet connection to the up port on the hub , or port one if it is auto-sensing , and the next port on the hub to the PC ( compaq ) second port to the MAC , power up the modem , wait 'til it settles , then power up the hub , then both the PC and the MAC , the PC should find the connection right away . Go to ...start/settings/control panel/network connection , right click on the Ethernet connection and tick the box saying " show when connected " or something similar .

Ashley

Ashrich 23:15 20 Nov 07

Wow , first double post ! and that should say " bound itself "

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…