MAC - do ISPs need to know who?

keewaa 12:14 24 Mar 06

When requesting a Migration Authority Code, they asked "who are you transfering to?"

Do they need to know this to issue a MAC (will they only allow a change to the ISP I name), or can I still move to any other ISP ?

keewaa 12:15 24 Mar 06

So If I reply "Haven't decided yet" , should they still send me a MAC ?

Mike D 12:18 24 Mar 06

When I obtained my MAC from Tiscali I didn't tell them where I was going. They find out when the transfer takes place anyway.

Dipso 14:41 24 Mar 06

...requesting a MAC doesn't mean you HAVE to leave your current ISP, it just gives you 30 days to decide, then expires.

Tell them you haven't decided...nosey so and so's ;)

dmc727 17:37 24 Mar 06

Dipso. Thanks for that info as I wasn’t sure on that point. But assume this refers to an ISP who has signed the Broadband Migration Code of Practice - if an ISP hasn’t maybe best to see their particular conditions.

This is a list of signed up ISP’s: and fortunately mine is on the list:click here

spuds 18:22 24 Mar 06

Hijacking the post slightly.What happens when you want to move to another ISP, and your present ISP or the one your wish to transfer to, is not signed up to the Broadband Migration Code of Practice ?.

dmc727 19:44 24 Mar 06

Spuds. Having been with the same broadband ISP from the start I’ve not had the experience of changing providers – so can’t really help on that one. The day may come when I need to change so I’m interested in knowing any ins and outs.

The Broadband Migration Code of Practice is a voluntary measure which reads, to me anyway, that those not signed up are under no obligation to comply. Logic being they can impose there own conditions which may not be straight forward.

keewaa 21:23 24 Mar 06

OK, well it's now a week since requesting and it hasn't appeared from AOL. I sensed trouble when the AOL kid (I'll call him kid due to his attitude) told me to be careful that I instructed my new ISP to use it correctly or I would get double billed, and insisted this happened regularly.

What a load of ..........

I proceeded to inform him that if AOL continued to bill after they no longer provide the broadband, once the new ISP has taken over, then it showed that AOL was not a very good company if it couldn't detect who it was actually supplying broadband to. And anyway, how can I tell the new ISP how to use the MAC .... I just give it to them!

The conversation should have been ;

"Could you send me a MAC code"
"Yes, will do within 5 days"

but in fact turned out to be a 5 minute sales pitch for me to stay with AOL, followed by a 5 minute scare tactics pitch. So I'm not surprised with not getting it, and just confirms my desire to change, along with my desire to record the next call to them!!

Dipso 22:38 24 Mar 06

Your ISP is definitely "on the list". Perhaps you should remind them of that. More info click here

FWIW my old ISP was on the list too and I requested my MAC (by email) and got it within minutes. It was simply a case of copying and pasting it from their email into my new ISP's on-line form and I was migrated successfully 3 days later.

AOL's "use it correctly" speech does sound like scare tactics. However, the only other thing I did to ensure I wasn't double billed was to email my old ISP once migrated to advise them of the move. Apparently they don't find out for 30 days or so otherwise which can lead to billing problems.

keewaa 10:22 25 Mar 06

Sorted now. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017