Java Virtual Machine

Baslla321 19:24 13 Apr 05

I have no idea what this is but I read that it is worth installing. I have Win Xp pro sp2. Is it really needed? for what ?
Thanks

VoG II 19:26 13 Apr 05
  Baslla321 08:16 14 Apr 05

Thanks VOG; I was wondering whether it is necessary to have it or not? Is it already in Windows XP already maybe ?

CurlyWhirly 09:08 14 Apr 05

I don't think it is already in XP as I have downloaded it.
I think it is used for displaying animation in web pages?
Perhaps someone would confirm?

bosmere 09:12 14 Apr 05

CurlyWhirly, yes - to get the best out of some web pages you need it.

Total Care Support 10:07 14 Apr 05

Hi Baslla321

Microsoft’s Java VM was included in Windows XP RTM and SP1, but due to legal case with Sun Microsoft are no longer allowed to distribute their Java VM, only update existing installations for security flaws. For this reason the Microsoft’s Java VM was removed from Windows XP SP1a and SP2.

So now as VoG pointed out you should download and install Sun’s VM if you need one. Microsoft’s VM can still be installed on SP2 but it is not available from Microsoft as legally they are not allowed to provide it. An example of how it may end up being installed is if you install a software package that requires it and the provider has included a re-distributable version on the CD.

I think people have pretty much covered what it is for, running java programs such as games in your browser.

Hope this helps

Jon

Baslla321 13:13 14 Apr 05

Very Many thanks to you all.Now I understand what it is there for etc. I remember way back I used to have it on my Win 98 too. Regards.

anchor 17:04 14 Apr 05

My brand new Evesham with XP-SP2 has Java installed; must have installed by them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…