java virtual machine

judge1 13:54 27 Apr 04

hello to everyone i am fairly new to computers and have just had windows XP put on my comp,my problem is when i start my comp i get a message saying something about cant find class for java virtual machine, anybody know what it is please

Xevious 14:02 27 Apr 04

look for java virtual machine on the web (google should do) and install it

temp003 15:02 27 Apr 04

click here and download the Sun Java.

If you want to use the Microsoft one, it's also there, but the last I heard was that Microsoft will not (and canno) provide updates to its java virtual machine.

Xevious 15:13 27 Apr 04

from what i can remember the last time i looked for it on MS website, it is no longer available there anyway...

anchor 15:28 27 Apr 04

The final version of Microsoft Virtual machine is still available here

click here

Personally, I prefer it to the Sun Version. This thread might be of interest:

click here

After installation, reboot, and ensure you have a tick against, "JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled" in Internet Options, advanced.

judge1 15:44 27 Apr 04

thanks to everyone who tried to help but after reinstalling java when i start up it still says cant find main class

€dstowe 16:08 27 Apr 04

From what you say, XP is an upgrade from another operating system. If so, were service pack 1 and all the XP updates loaded when the XP was put on.

€d

judge1 16:16 27 Apr 04

i dont know i used to run windows 98 but had someone put XP on for me,not a copy i have the xp disc

€dstowe 18:21 27 Apr 04

OK, that's not really what I wanted to know, I'm sure your copy is legit.

What I'm curious about is: have you got all the updates and things for XP loaded with it?

When XP first came out it was at the same time as some wrangle between Sun (Java) and M$ Virtual Machine such that Bill Gates lost and neither Java nor Virtual Machine was properly catered for. SP1 and/or updates to XP got over this. Now, I may have the detail wrong but check that you have everything loaded that should be loaded.

€d

ensonricky 18:29 27 Apr 04

Current m$oft updates including SP1 do not now include virtual machine due to the court case brought by sun microsystems. M$oft themselves recommend people download from the sun website.

goll_y 18:30 27 Apr 04

As far as I know, you can't download SP1 from Windows Update without a legit Windows XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…