iPad 2 slower with iOS8

Woolwell 10:27 19 Sep 14
Answered

I installed iOS8 on my iPad and iPhone yesterday. I am disappointed with iOS8 on the iPad2. It is fine on the iPhone 5. On the iPad2 apps are appreciably slower opening. After that it runs ok but seem slightly sluggish than before. Looking on the net it would seem that I'm not the only one experiencing this. iOS8 may be a step too far for the iPad2. Be careful with upgrades if you have an iPad2.

iscanut 12:28 19 Sep 14

Upgraded my I Pad yesterday, took nearly 3 hours to download just over 1Gbyte and then ages to install. It does seem slower but after the storms here last night, the internet as a whole seems slow.

rdave13 13:26 19 Sep 14

Thanks for that Woolwell . Unless it appears to be an automatic update we'll pass for now I think. click here.

bremner 06:37 20 Sep 14

Unfortunately I did not see this posting before upgrading my iPad2, it now runs like treacle.

I am now in the process of restoring from the backup back to iOS7.

Sorry Apple you have screwed up with this one. The iPad2 is certainly not powerful enough for this new OS :( smoothly

simonjary 07:43 20 Sep 14
Answer

You may still be able to downgrade back to iOS 7.

How to downgrade from the iOS 8 beta to iOS 7: Can I reinstall iOS 7 on my iPhone or iPad?

Our sister title Macworld warned of the problems upgrading an older device with the latest system.

iOS 8 review: Will my iPad or iPhone get slower if I update to iOS 8?

Some suggest Apple does this just as new devices come out to push hardware upgrade sales. 1]: [click here 2]: [click here

bremner 08:35 21 Sep 14

simonjary

Thanks for the links will be giving it a try as the restore I tried was unsuccessful.

Love the conspiracy theory :o)

flycatcher1 09:27 26 Sep 14

I have also been caught out. My iPad2 is hesitant and slower than before, maybe ios8.13 will fix it.

Zurdo 10:01 26 Sep 14

It's ok on my IPAD Air but I cant get into one of my bank accounts. See my earlier post.

bremner 16:12 26 Sep 14

8.0.2 is now out after the withdrawal of 8.0.1

Woolwell 16:34 26 Sep 14

I have installed 8.0.2 on my iPad2. Had a major snag in that I had to do a restore from my back up and after recover of all my apps and 8.0.2 install found I had 25 updates for the apps. Too early to state if 8.0.2 is an improvement but will report back.

Woolwell 17:37 26 Sep 14

First impressions are that 8.0.2 is ok and my iPad is now working ok with most if not all of the sluggishness gone. Needs more time to be sure though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5