Installing Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my iMac

EileenSatchell 16:39 27 Jan 15

I'm look to install Windows 7 on my iMac. I have two queries I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with.

Firstly in the Bootcamp instructions it states you will need an external hard drive that is 8GB or larger and formatted to MS-DOS (FAT), which I have done. There is no further mention to this drive again. I have purchased and downloaded the Windows 7 IOS software, should this be copied to this external hard drive, if not what is it used for?

Secondly will I need any additional security software if I'm running Windows programs?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Eileen

Matt Egan 08:50 29 Jan 15

These stories we have published should help, here.

How to run Windows on Mac - Macworld UK

And:

How to install Boot Camp and run Windows on your Mac

You'll have to put up with my big round face, however. As to AV: I would say you do need it. Certainly my wife's Mac picked up a nasty bug within weeks of running Windows 8. Windows is a big target, and for a few quid a month I would say it is better to be safe than sorry.

bremner 09:41 29 Jan 15

I have installed Windows on Bootcamp many times and have absolutely no idea why you would need an external hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…