//some 3rd party need geo

Imac operation

griffo 19:15 31 Dec 05

I don't know if it's politically correct to ask here about an Imac but my son has aquired an Imac4 and we don't know how to 'drive it'. I have downloaded OpenOffice 2.0 and put it onto a CD, hoping to install it for him. I can get the PC to read the disc and the OO icon appears, so I guess it's reading it OK but I just cannot work out how to install the programme.

If anyone can help I would be so greatful.

Diodorus Siculus 19:46 31 Dec 05

Do you know what operating system is on it? MacOS comes in a variety of different flavours.

griffo 19:48 31 Dec 05

Hi DS

It's a G4 17" flat panel with OSX and 1Gb of Ram.

Diodorus Siculus 19:51 31 Dec 05

porting: OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X
click here

This may help.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version?

I'd have thought that doubleclicking on it would have started it going for you.

griffo 20:09 31 Dec 05

Not sure I can understand much of that - sorry! The 'Requirements' lists some updates, which we may not have as I haven't worked out how to link it to the internet yet.

The version I downloaded was Advanced Build (2.0 line), not sure if that's the right one or not?

Diodorus Siculus 20:10 31 Dec 05

There are a few Mac experts around - hopefully one will come by with some advice.

griffo 20:16 31 Dec 05

OK, thanks DS

powerless 22:16 31 Dec 05

Well first things first, does your current version of Mac OS X support new applications. So we have to find out which version of Mac OS X you are running.

To do this click: The Apple logo in the top left hand corner and choose: About This Mac

Do you see: 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 or 10.4?

If you see 10.2 or above then you are ok. If you see 10.1 then please say so.

I wouldn't bother using that version you have downloaded, it's really meant for people who know what they're doing. click here and read what it says at the bottom.

So I would downoad this: click here

You want version 1.1 as this is the stable release, the other version 1.2 seems to be in the early testing stage.

So download this file: NeoOfficeJ-1.1.dmg click here

Burn this file to CD and when done, pop the CD in the iMac. Then copy the file from the CD to the Mac desktop.

Double click the file.

Now double click: NeoOfficej.pkg and the installer will run and It's very easy from here.

Once installed open up Finder and look in your Applications folder and double click: NeoOfficeJ.app

This will the open neooffice and you can now use it.

griffo 23:02 01 Jan 06

Thanks so much - it's version 10.4
Followed your instructions and OO is now installed, very grateful.

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…