Is this the iMac for me?

IPA 15:04 27 Jul 05

I normally aim to change my PC every 2/3 years in order that I can pass the old one on to my Children/Grandchildren so that they can have the benefit of a reasonably up to date and cared for machine.My original Evesham is still going strong in the family, now on its third user.
This time I really fancy the iMac G5 2GHz with 17 inc screen and 1gb memory ,all at £1268.
Apart from normal word processing and internet use ,the computer is mainly used for photo and a lot of video editing.
What I would like to know is will this spec be ok to do all that I want and what would be the equivalent pc spec in terms of processor power etc.

Kate B 22:57 27 Jul 05

If I were buying a new computer and didn't want to fuss with keeping it clear of spyware/viruses/general nasties, didn't want to run demanding games and didn't want the tweakability of Windows (and all the potential problems that brings!) I'd definitely be looking at the iMacs.

I often recommend Macs to friends - and several have followed my advice and are very, very happy with them.

I'm writing this on my iBook, which I love to pieces. Go for it - you'll enjoy learning your way round the elegant OS.

powerless 23:28 27 Jul 05

The iMac can do video editing, all Macs can for that matter with very different 'Waiting' times!

The daddy would be the Power Mac.

IPA 07:13 28 Jul 05

Thanks ,Just the sort of replies I was hoping for! I hope it is stocked by my local PC World otherwise it means a trip to Birmingham at the weekend. Rather than buy it online this time I think , as it is so very different to me , I would like to see it first and have a little play.

ajm 10:12 28 Jul 05

Have a look at the 20" IMAC as well. Maybe you may feel that a larger screen will be suitable for you.

Also ask about the POWER MAC 1.8 GHZ. Someone picked up a deal on the Powermac for £700 at the local PC World as it is end of line model. This is just a Tower Unit. You then have choice of buying the 20" LCD Apple screen for £550 or buying a chaper non-apple screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…