imac G4 won't boot

griffo 16:36 07 Oct 06

I've decided to try a new thread rather than add to the old one, as that was showing as resolved - which it ian't - sadly!

Got another imac G4 ('goodmac') but without it's keyboard. Tried connecting via Firewire and pressing T on badmac when starting but it doesn't appear on the screen of goodmac.

Goodmac came with OSX 10.1 installation disc, which actually works in badmac (our 10.2 discs won't!) and we've opened Disc Utility, selected the HD but it only offers 'Verify'. We did that and it says ' keys out of order, this volume needs to be repaired' but doesn't offer the Repair option.

Can anyone help please??

griffo 22:23 07 Oct 06

Have given up on that. Have installed OSX onto free partition on external (firewire) HD. All went OK, got Airport working and went online for updates. Installed a few then, when it instructed me to restart, the reboot failed!! It now keeps saying the PC needs to restart, press the power button for a few seconds or press restart. Have done that several times - stuck in a loop!

Please can someone help before I go mad????

griffo 10:48 08 Oct 06

Have re-installed OSX and that has worked OK but we have another problem now! The external HD (3 partitions) is only showing the second partition, where the OS is installed, the other 2 are greyed out.

I've done a Verify and Repair on both partitions but that hasn't helped.

Again, any advice will be welcome.

griffo 10:59 08 Oct 06

I've attached the external HD to another imac and all 3 partitions are fine there!

griffo 14:31 10 Oct 06

Doesn't anyone have any ideas on this problem please??

griffo 18:18 14 Nov 06

I was advised to try this piece of software :-

click here

It fixed the problem (although it needs to be left to run for a while on a badly corrupted directory). Worth every penny - brilliant!

Thanks for the replies and help, as always.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now