ICS Mac and Windows

01chris 19:26 30 Jul 05

My Friend is getting Demon broadband for a mac mini. Could he use ics so he got the internet on his xp laptop from the mac using a crossover cable.

If so how?

mgmcc 20:27 30 Jul 05

Personally, I'd rather do it the other way round - connect with the XP laptop and share its connection over a crossover cable with the Mac Mini, but it should be possible by sharing the Mac's internet connection.

From the Mac Mini's "System Preferences", select the "Sharing" folder in the Internet and Network section, click the Internet tab, select the Port for the connection to the XP laptop (which will be "Built-in Ethernet") and set the "Share your connection from" entry to presumably the USB ADSL modem.

I'm writing this with a Mac Mini, but it is connected by ethernet to a router, which is a better solution if more than one computer is connecting to the internet.

01chris 21:25 30 Jul 05

would I just use the network wizard on xp then setup proxy's on the mac?

mgmcc 23:57 30 Jul 05

I've never yet used the wizard in XP to set up networking. You just need to enable Internet Connection Sharing on the actual internet connection (presumably a USB modem), so that the "Local Area Connection" is given the IP address subnet and "clients" are allocated an address in the same range by DHCP.

The Mac Mini is connected by crossover cable and, as far as I remember, it just seemed to set itself up without any intervention. As I said, mine is connected to a router but, from the Mac's point of view, there should be no difference - it is connecting to a LAN from which it gets its IP address by DHCP and its internet access.

If the XP "host" is running Zone Alarm, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium, otherwise ICS traffic will be blocked.

01chris 10:27 31 Jul 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…