I need an Excel routine without using a macro

Chris the Ancient 15:05 26 Jul 10

Using Excel 2003

I have done want I need using a macro in the past; but, can it be done without using a macro?

What I want...

When a user opens a spreadsheet, I would like there to be no toolbars and only limited menu items. I want to avoid macros because of the 'security warnings' that can flag up and, maybe, alarm the less savvy end-user.

But I don't think it can be done!

VoG II 15:14 26 Jul 10

I don't think it can be done either.

Chris the Ancient 15:35 26 Jul 10

Not 'fawning' or anything, but if my teacher (you)can't do it, I don't think anyone can!

CtA

skeletal 16:11 26 Jul 10

Could this help?

click here

I’ve never used it so don't know anything about it, and it may be too restrictive, but worth a try perhaps?

Skeletal

Chris the Ancient 16:21 26 Jul 10

Good thought. But if they already have Excel installed on the machine (which they should have to use the spreadsheet) the spreadsheet will call up Excel as the default program.

CtA

BT 16:36 26 Jul 10

View > Full Screen will hide the toolbars and just leave the basic menus

skeletal 17:00 26 Jul 10

CtA: That’s true. But if they already use Excel, then perhaps they should know what all the toolbars etc are for? Or, would it be possible to remove Excel for those users with limited knowledge, or change the file associations? Of course, this would be a lot of work if you are doing this for a lot of computers.

In the past I have tried really hard to make my code easy for others to use. I have been successful for all except one notable exception. He continually kept getting things wrong. When I went through it with him I asked why he did not follow the on-screen instructions and warnings; his reply was “I never take any notice of those things”. It was (is) beyond my ability to make software work for users like this!

Also, I must admit, for me, those security warnings are a real nuisance; I even get warned about my own code, on my own machine. Some code is so old my “self certification” certificate has run out.

Skeletal

Chris the Ancient 17:36 26 Jul 10

BT...

Yes, that is an availability, but not something that I would have a way of implementing without code.

skeletal...

It's not an essential thing that I'm trying to do, and the spreadsheets are only going to be a bit of 'freeware' that I will be enclosing in a book. So, if the end-user is au fait with Excel, all fair and good. I was just thinking of the possibility of a naive end-user, in particular, looking at the spreadsheet and being alarmed by security warnings followed by the multiplicity of (unnecessary) toolbars and menu options..

As to the exceptions like you mention, I know exactly what you mean. When I used to train people in MS Office a few years ago, I felt that some people should never, ever be allowed near a computer!

General closing comment...

As the sheet and a lot of the cells are protected, all embraced with password protection the formulae are not going to be visible (why should I give away my 'secrets'?). It also stops the person who thinks that they know more than me on the particular calculations mucking things up. Then again, if they muck it up, that's not my fault.

There's nothing particularly sensitive in the spreadsheet and if anyone has the knowledge to crack the password protection, it won't be the end of the world.

So, the end result is that the spreadsheet will go out as just a plain and simple .xls file so that people can enter some simple data and see an end result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…