HP Pavilion or E-Machines...which should i go for?

malwarehater 03:16 05 Oct 05

I am looking at buying either one of these pc's....Can anyone here with some pc knowledge please tell me which machine sounds better according to the Specs,and included software etc?

E-MACHINES "E4020" specifications:

CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 519
(1MB L2 cache, 3.06GHz, 533MHz FSB)

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP

Chipset: Intel® 915GV

Memory: 512 MB DDR (2x256MB), Dual Channel

Hard Drive: 250 GB SATA (7200 rpm, 8 MB Cache)1

Optical Drives: 16xDouble Layer DVD±RW Multi-Format Drive

Media Reader: 8-in-1 (USB 2.0, Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)

Video: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
Up to 224MB shared

Sound: Intel® High Definition 5.1

Modem: 56K ITU V.92 Ready Fax/Modem

Peripherals: Premium Multimedia Keyboard, PS/2, 2-

Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers

Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, 5 Audio-In & Out, 3 IEEE 1394 (2 in front/1 in back)

Software: Microsoft® Works 8.0, Windows Media Player 10, Nero 6 Suite, PowerDVD, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, BigFix®, McAfee® VirusScan® (90-day complimentary trial)
HP PAVILION "A1105" specifications:

Operating System Installed
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

CPU: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 335
(256k L2 cache, 2.8GHz, 533MHz FSB)

System bus
533 MHz

Level 2 cache 256 KB

Intel® 845 GE chipset

Standard memory
512 MB

Memory type

Memory slots
2 DIMM sockets

Internal drives
Internal hard disk drive
80 GB

Hard disk controller
Hard drive

Hard disk drive speed
(7200 rpm)

Optical drive type
DVD writer

Optical drive speed
Double Layer ±R/ ±RW 16x max

System features
Memory card device
9in1 memory card reader

Network interface
10/100BT network interface

Video capture interface
IEEE 1394 FireWire® Interface

Video adapter
Intel® Extreme graphics

Video RAM
Up to 64 MB shared video memory

Internal audio
Integrated 5.1 sound solution

Speakers and microphone
(Speakers provided with Monitors)

External drive bays
2 external optical drive bays, 1 internal HDD bay

Video adapter, bus
1 AGP (free)

Expansion slots
3 PCI (2 free)

Software - productivity & finance
Microsoft® Works 8.0

Included/Pre-installed software
Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0; Microsoft® Outlook® Express; Adobe® Reader 6.0

Optical drive driver software
Sonic™ DigitalMedia Plus 7.0: Sonic™ RecordNow; Sonic™ MyDVD; Sonic™ Easy Archive; Sonic™ Express Labeler; Microsoft® MovieMaker; HP Image Zone Plus; Microsoft® Windows® Media Player 10; Apple iTunes and QuickTimes; InterVideo WinDVD 5.0

Software - internet & online
Easy Internet Signup with leading Internet Service Providers

Software included
HP Pavilion on-line user's guide; HP Help; HP Pavilion recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately); Optional re-allocation of recovery partition; Recovery CD/DVD creation tool; Symantec™ Norton Internet Security™ 2005 (60-day liveupdate)

Thanks in advance guys.

malwarehater 03:58 05 Oct 05

I must add-

E-machines PC doesn't seem to be as upgradable as the HP as for one thing there is no spare graphics card slot........BUT....As regards the HP machine..you dont get a system restore cd when you purchase....there is a back-up image of the OS on the HD and you have to make the restore cd yourself using a utility thats already installed when the OS is installed (is this kind of thing common)

Diodorus Siculus 06:34 05 Oct 05

I would avoid the e-machines on the grounds of one simple observation: take a look at the PCWorld site where they list refurbished machines. 10 our the 15 there are e-machines.

There are likely various reasons for this but I would have a concern about their reliability.

Making a restore disk is not difficult - just takes some time.

Why are you limited to this choice?

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:20 05 Oct 05

I, unlike others, have bought many EMachines and they are a capable machine for general use. They are also ultra reliable (as are most computers thesedays). Don't worry about the mania for 'upgrading'; if you are using the machine for photo editing and Office apps., the only upgrade that you will ever need is an external HD.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:24 05 Oct 05

....I would be tempted by the HP from looks alone though and don't take up the offer of the 3 year warranty or the security suite. AVG, MS Antispy, a little common sense and Sygate all free) are ALL you will ever need for total protection.

spuds 10:48 05 Oct 05

Regarding the HP back-up image,HP do give comprhensive instructions on how to do this. They will also provide a disk for an extra fee. A friend of mine purchased a similar HP computer nearly twelve months ago from Staples, more than happy with it.

Maturin 16:04 05 Oct 05

The HP Pavilion is a good machine. However, my pavilion is no more after the mother board gave out 6 months after the 2 year warranty expired!

Up to that point it gave me and my family many hours of trouble free computing.

I think an external HDD is essential kit now. Not only for archiving multimedia files, but a safe place to store backup images of the computer's internal HDD (eg with Acronis True Image or Nero Backup).

If there is a John Lewis store near you, you will get 2 year warranty on the CPU and 3 years on the monitor (if you need one) at no extra charge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…