How do I upgrade an e-machine desktop from 2002?

jacobjohn7 19:21 28 Jul 09

Just wanting a few tips on how/where/what i upgrade for an e-machines (pc world) pc. Many thanks
John

lotvic 19:37 28 Jul 09

First you need to know what you already have
Download SIW - Everything you want to know about your computer
read about it click here

Download (Freeware Version), SIW Standalone (English-Only) click here

jack 19:50 28 Jul 09

Find Out what you 'think' you would like the machine to do -then investigate if the task is do-able physically or economically.

Like as not you will find that,

A - E-machines like to many other mass market machines are made in 'integrated lumps' with little or no opportunity to carry out any serious modification.

and

B most importantly - once you have identified the likely cost of any work that can be done the price will likely be more than halfway to a new machine- which is IMHO the best course to take

PhiltheFragger 21:21 28 Jul 09

7 year old E machine will only be good for very basic use, even the lightest anti virus will cause it to slow dramatically and make it sooo slow as to be unworkable

recycle it and buy a new one

You Know It makes Sense

lotvic 22:39 28 Jul 09

Not everyone can afford to do that, myself included.

jacobjohn7, depending on what you are wanting to do on the pc you could improve it for very little cost.

My old pc is ten years old and is still in use, and this one I'm on now is 4 years old.

norman47 22:48 28 Jul 09

This machine was built on the 11th of april 2001 and still runs xp well:-)

HP Vectra.:D

smy13 23:04 28 Jul 09

hi I upgraded an emachines 5210 about 12 mths ago and now it goes like stink running xp

3.0GHz processor £25.00 from ebay
2MB RAM £30.00 again from ebay
Geforce fx5200 agp graphics cards £35.00

Ingore comments about running slow with an AV this is faster the my vista machine and runs AVG AV with no problem at all

jacobjohn7 16:00 30 Jul 09

The comp is an e-machine 270, it says it takes 184pin DIMMS.... and DDR SDRAM.
the DIMMS i presume increase the storage memory?
and the SDRAM that memory speed.? I want to pick up some cheap memory for this, just to give it a quick boost. Its for my 10 year old so doesnt have to be like shit off a shovel.
Advice appreciated.
Oh, one more question please, best way to get him on internet, I have NETGEAR wireless modem connected to this PC downstairs, and his is in a upstairs bedroom, any advice please?

smy13 09:26 31 Jul 09

you can get your memory from here 1GB £25.00 - you can pick it up cheaper from eBay.
But crucial guarantee it will work and their customer service is second to none
click here.

best way to get on the net is to by either a wireless pci card which you can fit to your motherboard.
click here.

or an easier option if you have a spare USB port would be to buy a wireless USB dongle
click here.

Don't know if you've got this covered but I use this free parental control software on my lads pc's to stop them goes places they shouldn't
click here

jacobjohn7 21:38 06 Aug 09

thanks smy13, the memory will make it a bit faster in what respect, will it handle a bit more game wise?

Dongle sounds like easiest way... do i buy/attach/get online as easy as that.. or more complex? ie: easy way... i plug in, it detects internet connection downstairs, and jobs a good un... or do I buy it, find i cant get it to do what i want, come on here with more questions! ;o)

Thanks for all links,great help matey.
John

jacobjohn7 21:42 06 Aug 09

PPS: memory wise, it says its upgradable to 2gb so should be slots enough for memory chip?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5