How configure Apple to access the internet via pc?

John Ba 19:16 08 Sep 05

I was hopping to enable my sister's elderly Apple (600Mhz G3, but running OS 10.3) to access the internet using a crossover cable to a pc (running Windows XP SP2). This in turn is connected to the internet with a USB modem, using a static IP address.

I thought it was going to be easy, but I struggled. I'm not that competent on networking anyway and I know virtually nothing about Apple computers.

Can any one suggest what needs to be done or what settings need to be made on either computer?

I know she should really buy an ethernet modem and that maybe I should be asking a MacUser forum instead.

With thanks for any suggestions ahead of trying to fix it this weekend.

Taran 04:56 09 Sep 05

For a start, a lot depends on your ISP. AOL for instance, has a shocking track record for Macs not connected directly to the web. Any form of connection sharing has, in the past, killed a connection dead before it even got off the ground with AOL.

Apple Mac OSX allows you to share an internet connection through any connectable interface.

In plain English that means you can set up your share to go through Ethernet, FireWire, AirPort etc.

Broadly speaking, this is what you need to be doing on the Mac:

Go to System Preferences.

Open the Network preference.

In the Network window, select the LAN connection you intend using, or from System Preferences select Sharing.

Click on the Internet tab.

Choose the connection that you’d like to share from or through.

Assuming you want to connect through the Ethernet port, select Built-in Ethernet.

You have a few choices here. Either you can more or less see how things go and try a web page request through your shared connection, or you can tweak how users share your Internet connection.

Whatever you do though, you kick things off by clicking the Start button to start sharing the Internet connection.

There’s a bit more to it but this is a brief overview and should be enough to get things going in the right direction. Note that the above steps apply to the OS version you specified. The steps are slightly (or very) different depending on which version of the Apple OS you are running.

POst back if you get stuck and I'll go into more detail.

T

John Ba 16:26 09 Sep 05

Thanks lot for your help and advice. I'll give it a go to get the two computers to talk to each other this weekend.

I hope that I won't have to come back again, but thanks also for your offer of more help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…