How configure Apple to access internet via a pc?

John Ba 19:00 08 Sep 05

I was hopping to set enable my sister's elderly Apple (600Mhz G3, but running OS 10.3) to access the internet using a crossover cable to a pc (running Windows XP SP2). This in turn is connected to the internet with a USB modem, using a static IP address.

I thought it was going to be easy, but I struggled. I'm not that competent on networking anyway and I know virtually nothing about Apple computers.

Can any one suggest what needs to be done or what settings need to be made on either computer?

I know she should really buy an ethernet modem and that maybe I should be asking a MacUser forum instead.

With thanks for any suggestions ahead of trying to fix it this weekend.

DieSse 19:19 08 Sep 05

I can't think you're going to be able to do this. The cross-over cable direct connection requires Windows Internet Connection Sharing - and clearly it's not likely you can have Windows ICS on a Mac.

I would think you should be looking at a LAN based Router - then both systems connect to the net via the Router, and won't ned the ICS software.

It has the added advantage that they connect independantly - ie either can be switched off and the other can still connect.

John Ba 19:31 08 Sep 05

A router would probably be a reasonable way to do it, albeit at a cost which I was trying to avoid as the Apple is rather elderly.

However, I know it can be done if you manually set up the configuration as an ex-girlfriend had just such a set up. I had hoped that the Mac set up might be more user friendly.

With thanks.

Thalmus 21:05 08 Sep 05

Read this guide

click here

DieSse 21:11 08 Sep 05

Well - we live and learn!

John Ba 16:22 09 Sep 05

These pages look really useful. I'll try and get the computers to share their internet connection this weekend.

With many thanks for your help.

Kate B 17:45 09 Sep 05

I did this easily with a crossover cable running between my Windows box and my Mac running Panther (at the time). I can't remember off the top of my head what I ticked in the Mac's preferences and settings boxes but essentially so long as the host computer - ie the Windows box - is on and connected to the internet then the Mac will be too. Just fire up Safari and off you go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…